1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disco Subs For Home Cinema Use????

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by contactadam2002, Jan 16, 2005.

1. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Off the top of my head I would suggest that this sub has a very narrow, rather-humped frequency band with little extension below 40Hz. The visible horn loading is to increase output from the front of the driver. With the large ports below likely to be the mouth of a rather short bass horn working off the back of the driver.

I could be completely wrong of course. There seemed to be no mention of frequency response. Which is a bit of a worry.

My wild guess would be that even if it is suitable for it's intended PA purpose. It is completely unsuitable for HT/AV use in a typical room.

Nimby

3. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    K thanks for that mate. Actually Im not sure if the rear connections would be correct. Any DJ's out there. Still would like some more opinions people so keep ur answers coming please, oh and if you have any web sites that are normally hard to find could you please provide them. :lease:

4. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard those mackies, and they're quite good as PA but don't have the extension needed for proper AV sound. I think they've got speakon connections, and you'd need to source a decent and quiet-operating PA amp as well as an x-over. They also wouldn;t sound great in a living room-type situation as they're designed for use in bigger spaces.
    Of the subs on the site you provided, I imagine one of the Genelec units would be more suitable (esp. 7070A)
    You could also looking at getting a JBL or EAW cinema sub as used in multiplexes.
    For best AV sound and fewer complications though, you'd do better to get a sub for home use.

5. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah excellent, I had asked as one of my questions what subs were used in cinemas, and having checked out one of the sites they fit the profile...did you mean the JBL subs on that website...or diffrerent ones?

6. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cinema I used to work at had one like the ones at the top of <a href="http://www.jblpro.com/cinema/subwoofers.htm">this page</a>. Lovely but maybe a bit big for home cinema :p

7. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect..just the ones I was looking for. Wonder how much they cost though. Garuanteed sound quality. Do you know any particualr sites when they can be purchased from..or even cinema speakers?

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
  9. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow that was quick...I meant retailers though as I am currently on that page now. Internet retailers that maybe sell those speakers...so I have an idea of how much they cost (probably I guess about ten grand)