Disco lighting

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by robpyle, Jan 17, 2008.

1. robpyle

robpyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, here goes with a potentially bonkers question.....

In a couple of weeks we're holding a party for my wife's 40th in the local golf club, with a disco.

Hopefully my A700 will have arrived by then (come on Park!), along with a 50mm 1.7 lens.

I'd love to get loads of pictures during the night, and wondered if anyone can offer any advice about shooting under crazy disco lighting?

The standard 18-70 Sony lens is the one I've ordered with the camera.

In the meantime, I'll be reading up on low light photography....

Thanks in advance,

Rob

2. dclayton

dclayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I was looking for an answer to a similar question the other day and found this which might be helpful:

"Chuck the camera into either aperture or shutter priority (probably aperture would be most useful) and then set the camera to rear curtain sync for the flash.

The result, I think, would be that you end up with longish exposure times meaning lots of light trails which would create great atmosphere but then the burst of light at the end would freeze the action resulting in someone appearing sharp. Having the camera in aperture priority and using a longish exposure would result in the camera using the flash as fill-in and not the main source of light. Chuck a diffuser on the flash and, if you are still getting blown highlights or that 'rabbit caught in the headlight' effect just dial in -2stops of flash exposure compensation."

p.s like your salad fingers avatar lol

3. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Due to the strong and varied colours of disco lighting you really need flash.

Unless you need the DOF I'd suggest both lenses wide open around 1/30 maybe down to 1/10s shutter (manual mode deffinately) and then just let the flash expose the face(s). Probably want the ISO around 400 or 800 (or ISO 1600 at F1.7 and 1/60s if your not using flash and you need that to get an exposure).

When I do this sort of stuff I like to shoot 2 bodies: Canon 400d with 17-55 F2.8 IS and 430ex flash for the more group sort of shots and a Canon 40D with 50mm F1.4 for the single person and/or natural light shots. I sometimes use the 50mm 1.4 with a bit of flash aswell if it's still to dark or there are unremovable colour cast's from say blue or red light (these casts are normally removable though if you shoot RAW and post process). Being adaptable and thinking quickly on your feet is what's needed (and you really do need a complete and thourough knowledge of all the settings and there effects. (don't be afraid to experiment though as there is no 'right' way)

Here's a pile of my shots from a couple of events I did (note the change in locations effects my camera set-up's and hence look of the pictures.) Exif should be viewable on them all for any you wish to know what setting's I used.

www.flickr.com/photos/ulhc