Disco levels of bass for bedroom DJ with £1000 budget...

Sad Sack

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a Pioneer xdjr2 and currently run it through an old small amp and book shelf speakers.

Looking for an amp and speaker system that will be very bassy & loud. I listen mostly to techno, old school garage and a fair bit of rock n roll. Room size is 2.5m by 3m. Have no problem buying second hand.
What would you guys recommend?

Id say active speakers are your best bet in a room of that size . If you don't fancy active speakers the Kef R3's are well worth a look though they are £1300

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Overkill big time mate . I mix on a DDJ-SX and couldn't imagine using a pair of 15" drivers in a room that size. You'd just be overwhelmed with bass . Not conducive to decent mixing.

I should add that I may occasionally want to use them in the garden for a garden party in the summer.

the adams @Paul7777x listed are nearly as powerful as the big jbl's you listed, in addition they are powered so no need for a separate amplifier. they are a bit of a steal imo and will be able to produce a lot of good quality bass. if you want more, add one of these
ADAM Audio - Sub12 Active Subwoofer For Midfield Monitor Systems

nightclub bass is not great quality wise although hits hard.

OP - just to reiterate, are you looking for quantity or quality?

Aside from the issue that your room is basically a shoe box, if you got whopping big speakers they'd be so close together you'd barely get stereo!

Also, the sound quality in nightclubs is pretty appalling - mostly distortion and not much frequency range. As Paul rightly points out, you could permanently damage your hearing long term and it hardly seems worth it.

I love my Dance music and it's great to have rich, full, room-filling sound of soaring riffs and thumping bass, but quality matters so much more than quantity, you only have a small space to work with (leaving aside the garden for now) and active near-field monitors will give you the effect you're looking for without diminishing the sound quality.

The most enjoyment DJing for me is at home with my mixer plugged into my Arcam AVR300 with monitor audio speakers and a MJ acoustics subwoofer, the sound is great and goes loud enough for the house and house parties. The system isn't very portable and I don't fancy taking it elsewhere so usually rent speakers for this purpose. If you plan on using your system for a few gigs then consider something quite hard wearing . Something like this might be for you but it will never sound as good as the active monitors mentioned above or a hi-fi system .

If you do decide to go for a pair of PA speakers then bear in mind that the bass does not often go as low as their large drivers suggest and a subwoofer is usually required to get that deep bass you desire.

Hope this helps

You are in a detached house, right?
If not, then I'm going to feel for your neighbour's.

OP - just to reiterate, are you looking for quantity or quality?

Aside from the issue that your room is basically a shoe box, if you got whopping big speakers they'd be so close together you'd barely get stereo!

Also, the sound quality in nightclubs is pretty appalling - mostly distortion and not much frequency range. As Paul rightly points out, you could permanently damage your hearing long term and it hardly seems worth it.

I love my Dance music and it's great to have rich, full, room-filling sound of soaring riffs and thumping bass, but quality matters so much more than quantity, you only have a small space to work with (leaving aside the garden for now) and active near-field monitors will give you the effect you're looking for without diminishing the sound quality.

Something like these?

KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Active Studio Monitor

The most enjoyment DJing for me is at home with my mixer plugged into my Arcam AVR300 with monitor audio speakers and a MJ acoustics subwoofer, the sound is great and goes loud enough for the house and house parties. The system isn't very portable and I don't fancy taking it elsewhere so usually rent speakers for this purpose. If you plan on using your system for a few gigs then consider something quite hard wearing . Something like this might be for you but it will never sound as good as the active monitors mentioned above or a hi-fi system .

If you do decide to go for a pair of PA speakers then bear in mind that the bass does not often go as low as their large drivers suggest and a subwoofer is usually required to get that deep bass you desire.

Hope this helps

It does thank you. Love the look of that amp!

Active speakers aren't really my forte, but I would recommend that you get speakers capable of at least going down to 30Hz, which probably means a pair of floorstanders.

The 2.1 system offered in Post #12 is another option to either active monitors or Hi-Fi speakers.

You have to bear in mind what it is you want. It's easy enough to get a big pair of bass bins like the JBL's you linked and they'll be loud and boomy if that's what you prefer. Actives are tight and fast and go very loud, but won't sound anything like the JBL's. A 2.1 system may be something in between - you'll get the speed of actives and the bass of big bins, but without the boom and far more detail.

Other people on here are far more qualified than me when it comes to active speakers, but I would recommend that you spend as close to your £1000 budget new as you can, you might be able to get more expensive speakers secondhand. And having built-in amps means actives just need to be near a wall socket and you're good to go, no need to worry about amp/speaker synergy.

Club systems generally do not go down that low, hence the poor bass response. Even that ld 2.1 PA system 15 inch sub only goes down to 35 hz compared to the Adams a8x on their own which go down to 38hz and the Adams sub I listed goes down to 22hz. Really is no comparison

Last edited:
Buy a pair of used, but still fully working JBL 2242 18" pro bass drivers. Put them in some DIY'd cabinets. Get a mate to make the cabinets if you don't fancy a bit of woodworking.

Buy a cheapo used solid state pro amp.
For easy blending with your existing speakers buy a miniDSP.

In a small room like yours, the JBL's will only be moving a fraction of a millimetre at window rattling volumes, for clean, dynamic, relatively undistorted bass.

The JBL's mentioned in post 6 are the right brand, wrong model range. What you want for your £1000 budget is very high quality bass drivers. The sort used in high end PA stacks. You don't want pub disco type speakers. JBL 2242H's retailed for $3000 per pair when new. You can buy them a lot cheaper than that used.

Last edited:
I would buy a pair of second hand 6.5" active speakers and add a pair of second hand BK XLS200 subwoofers. Something like -

Mackie HR624 - £250
Mackie HR624 MK2 SINGLE Active Monitor Stereo Speaker THX PM3 663961028829 | eBay

BK XLS200 (these are new at £300 but often come up cheaper second hand)
BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Powered Subwoofer. Black 5060403220189 | eBay

OR I am using some Mackie HR824 8" monitors that go down to 37hz f3 (and lower in room) and will hit 115db at 1m easily (enough to give you permanent hearing damage in 20 minutes). These can be had for £250-400 second hand. I'd get a pair and see how you go in your room, if you need more bass add an BK XLS400.

BK XXLS400-FF Active Subwoofer Black NEW + Warranty. UK Manufactured. 5060403220271 | eBay

OR cheap and cheerful but still very good are the M-Audio BX8 D3 which can be had for £150-200 second hand or £240 new. Again go down pretty low and will be plenty loud enough in a small room. Buy new, give them a try and if you don't like return under distance selling rules.

M-Audio BX8-D3 Studio Monitor at Gear4music

I would buy a pair of second hand 6.5" active speakers and add a pair of second hand BK XLS200 subwoofers. Something like -

Mackie HR624 - £250
Mackie HR624 MK2 SINGLE Active Monitor Stereo Speaker THX PM3 663961028829 | eBay

OR I am using some Mackie HR824 8" monitors that go down to 37hz f3 (and lower in room) and will hit 115db at 1m easily (enough to give you permanent hearing damage in 20 minutes). These can be had for £250-400 second hand. I'd get a pair and see how you go in your room, if you need more bass add an BK XLS400.

BK XXLS400-FF Active Subwoofer Black NEW + Warranty. UK Manufactured. 5060403220271 | eBay

OR cheap and cheerful but still very good are the M-Audio BX8 D3 which can be had for £150-200 second hand or £240 new. Again go down pretty low and will be plenty loud enough in a small room. Buy new, give them a try and if you don't like return under distance selling rules.

Can’t beat these suggestions.

If you want garden party music then it would be much safer for your proper hifi stuff to simply buy one of these or similar at the time. Just add a Bluetooth receiver.

Wharfedale Titan 12D 250W Active Speaker in Black - Andertons Music Co.

You can buy them from dozens of different companies from about a hundred quid up.

If diy is your forte then go DIY. You'll save a fudge ton of money! I built a pair of 18" subs that go down to 16hz (124db flat from 16hz to 120hz) which sound absoultely brilliant. I have a trio of HTM-12s as well which sound amazing. I too like mixing mostly techno and tech house and this system really rocks, however way over kill! You could get a pair of HTM8's from DIYSG, build 1 18" sub and be laughing really (for less than a grand) The speakers themselves are not HIFI speakers and are very transparent, so expose any bad mixing and bad recordings, whist still sounding great!

Denovo Audio HTM-8
Faital Pro 18HP1030 - 18Inch 1200W 8 Ohm
Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP

Mackie HR624 - £250

The BK subwoofers are defo a good shout for the price, get a pair of XLS200s or 400s, a pair of well reviewed popular active monitors and you're laughing. Re my last post, I didn't see your room size, and so the system I linked would probably take the drywall down with it!

Hi guys. I have a Pioneer xdjr2 and currently run it through an old small amp and book shelf speakers.

Looking for an amp and speaker system that will be very bassy & loud. I listen mostly to techno, old school garage and a fair bit of rock n roll. Room size is 2.5m by 3m. Have no problem buying second hand.
What would you guys recommend?
Just look at my signature and buy a pair of focal or quivelent active speakers running XLR cables to a decent mixer shack as the Allen & Heath Inhave. Proper base! All can be had for a grand! You won’t need an amp. Run the xlr cables from the active speakers straight to the mixer!

Can’t beat these suggestions.

If you want garden party music then it would be much safer for your proper hifi stuff to simply buy one of these or similar at the time. Just add a Bluetooth receiver.

Wharfedale Titan 12D 250W Active Speaker in Black - Andertons Music Co.

You can buy them from dozens of different companies from about a hundred quid up.
Can't beat those suggestions?

Really?

So 2 x 18" JBL2242's for example wouldn't sound better and have less distortion than the 1 x 10" or 12" Peerless woofer in those BK subs that Ugg mentioned?
Really?

Come, on. Let's get real here and not start pretending that that BK subs are the last word in bass for under £1000.

If the OP wants a turnkey solution, these would do the trick:
JBL SR Speakers 2x SR4725 & 2x SR4715 - Great Sound System! | eBay

Even though they are only (multiple) 15", they'd still knock spots off the BK sub solution.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom