• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Disc Unreadable On Most Games

CJPowers81

My 360 as just developed this problem with not being able to read games (GTA, VEGAS 1 & 2) and it's starting to get very annoying especially when i'm half way through a mission on GTA.

So what I was thinking about doing was buying an Elite before my current premium gets the 3 red lights so i can transfer the data off my HDD onto the bigger one I would get with the elite. This is incase I do get the 3 red lights on my current 360 and I'm left without a console.

If I got the elite I could sell my old HDD on ebay for about £40 and sell the premium as "Faulty-ish" and recoup a bit of money I would of spent on the Elite.

This disc error thing doesn't make much sense as the discs are clean and in near enough new condition. Saying that there was a little incident involving a speaker of mine dropping on top of the console :oops: that could of knocked the drive out of place slightly but that happened about 3 months ago and this business with being unable to read discs only started recently.

I can't return the 360 for repair because there is a crack on the top of the console (the mesh like plastic part) so microsoft would know it's been somewhat mistreated.

Anybody on here been in the same position, if so what did you do?

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
It is a common fault with some 360s.

I would suggest going to the retailer and quoting the Sales of Goods Act to try and get a replacement console.

Basically the retailer has a duty of care to the customer for a reasonable period, in the case of a 360 upto 3 years is a reasonable period, and if it develops a fault then they have a duty to replace it within this reasonable period.

Many have been successful with this. Most retailers such as Game will just swap out the console and you keep the HDD .etc.

I would never suggest selling this console to some poor person, that is mean.

CJPowers81

I would never suggest selling this console to some poor person, that is mean.

No, I meant as faulty. I sold my last premium that had the 3 red lights and got £70 for it, the buyer knew it was faulty. A few people on ebay buy the faulty ones advertised and I think get them sent off to microsoft for repair if the consoles as yet to be registered with MS (mine wasn't)

So my plan was to do the same with this and get £50 or something back. Obviously I would clearly state the disc reading issue and would be advertised as being failty. I would never sell something that was faulty without the buyer knowing this, that's just wrong.

Stinky985

my 360 did the same thing last week reading disks-or not as the case was. Then it started freezing and then i had to force the GTA game disk out of the drive. the dive will now not read anything!
I am sure it had nothing to do with the fact i ripped the tray out trying to rescue my disk! I managed to put it back in and it opens/closes but wouldnt read anything.
Never had the RROD though so its a chargeable (£60) repair. I actually havent considered that they may not repair it until now, so i hope they do! i told them i had to force the tray to rescue the disc so if they took my money for the repair then they should repair it! plus you get a i yr extended warranty in the price plus a month live gold membership.
**EDIT-i did decide the £60 was worth a gamble for the repair,but with 1 yr extended warranty thought it was a pretty safe bet. Its cheaper than buying a new console anyway! its just the waiting that is the killer!**

Stinky985

90 days really?! Seems strange that!
Although i have to pay as its a faulty drive not RROD, the woman definitely told me on the phone that the price included collection, repair, delivery extended 1 yr warranty from repair and 1 month live gold membership.
I suppoe i'll know for sure when i get it back.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
90 days really?! Seems strange that!
Although i have to pay as its a faulty drive not RROD, the woman definitely told me on the phone that the price included collection, repair, delivery extended 1 yr warranty from repair and 1 month live gold membership.
I suppoe i'll know for sure when i get it back.

Even though the piece of paper says 90days, the warranty on the website is valid for 6months. MS can't seem to get the story straight.

CJPowers81

Too late for me to get it repaired by MS as I sold it earlier today on ebay for £90 = 10 for postage. Plus i've got my 20g HDD to sell so I should get about £25 - £30 for that.

On the lookout now for an Elite. Shopto.net have the cheapest i've seen at £239 does anyone know of any other places.

I'd get one from play but would those have the new 175w power supply ?

Mr Quint

Distinguished Member
You know my 360 stoped reading dics last weekend, it started two weeks ago and got worse, even putting small scuff marks on GTA:IV.

I thought sod it, bought a new Premium on Monday ( Now with HDMI :thumbsup: ) and the bust 360 is going back to M$ and will act as a spare when i get it back. :D

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Too late for me to get it repaired by MS as I sold it earlier today on ebay for £90 = 10 for postage. Plus i've got my 20g HDD to sell so I should get about £25 - £30 for that.

On the lookout now for an Elite. Shopto.net have the cheapest i've seen at £239 does anyone know of any other places.

I'd get one from play but would those have the new 175w power supply ?

I have seen it in a few shops Comet, Tesco, Argos for £259, but they came with 4/5 games, so even if you only get £10 each trade-in per game you are still in profit.

CJPowers81

I have seen it in a few shops Comet, Tesco, Argos for £259, but they came with 4/5 games, so even if you only get £10 each trade-in per game you are still in profit.

I opted for one from amazon for £249.99 but that's just the console. I've looked everwhere on the net for some decent bundles but didn't come across one with 4/5 games otherwise I would of gone for that. Nevermind, I just hope this new one is gonna last a bit.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I opted for one from amazon for £249.99 but that's just the console. I've looked everwhere on the net for some decent bundles but didn't come across one with 4/5 games otherwise I would of gone for that. Nevermind, I just hope this new one is gonna last a bit.

Often these deals are instore only I have never understood shops dividing online and offline so much when they are the same company.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom