• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Disc Noise

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Had my Wii for about a month now and the disc noise seems to have gotten noiser over the last few days while loading and playing games, and 99% sure it wasn't like this when I got it.

It does seems to vary from game to game - Zelda is a lot noisier than Wii Sports, which maybe suggests it isn't a nackered unit, but what could be causing this ?

Cheers/...

Is it scratched at all mate? Could be the lens is working harder to read the discs surface?

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
All discs are fine.

I will try Tiger Woods and Wii Play and see what happens...

Sporran

mine has always been loud on disks, well i guess loud is the wrong word to use but noticable.

Its more than ps3 but knowhere near what the 360 does.

sparced

I only ever noticed the disk noise when I first played Scarface. Now its either lowered down or I've blanked it out.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Ok, maybe it is a faulty unit then as games are now erroring all over the place: "An error has occured. Eject the disc and power off blah blah blah".

As it's only a month old, should I go back to DVD Box Office or straight to Nintendo.

If Nintendo, what will they do with US consoles in the UK, and who covers postage costs etc?

Thanks/...

Ok, maybe it is a faulty unit then as games are now erroring all over the place: "An error has occured. Eject the disc and power off blah blah blah".

As it's only a month old, should I go back to DVD Box Office or straight to Nintendo.

If Nintendo, what will they do with US consoles in the UK, and who covers postage costs etc?

Thanks/...

The store has to replace it for you :smashin:. Nintendo are incredibly strict on imorting their consoles; they won't help as they'll say the US warranty doesn't apply in the UK.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
I would be very surprised if DVD Boxoffice help you especially if it's over 28 days old. I guess you can always email them or use their online live customer service to find out where you stand.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Been playing Red Steel tonight which I've had for ages(haven't played it in several weeks), the disk noise seemed alot louder than normal which took me by surprise. Perhaps some games are noisier than others and I'd just got used to the more silent other Wii games in my collection. Hope it's just that anyway:confused:

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Nintendo will help you on an import console, at a cost!

So if I had to relocate for work purposes for say 6 months and decided to buy a Wii, then moved back to UK, Nintendo would expect me to pay for a faulty item to be fixed. They can shove it up their backside!

DVD Box Office want me to send it back to them for repair by Nintendo US, but expect me to pay the cost of shiping it back to them, which is about £45 by DHL (i'm waiting for clarification on this though). Again, they can shove it if they think I am going to pay for a faulty item to be sent back.

I have told them they can have the whole thing back for a full refund if that is the case.

:mad::mad::mad:

D

Deleted member 65413

Unfortunatley thats the risk you take mate. A US warranty is not valid in the UK and vice versa, no point getting mad over it. Read the terms and conditions of your warranty.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
So if I had to relocate for work purposes for say 6 months and decided to buy a Wii, then moved back to UK, Nintendo would expect me to pay for a faulty item to be fixed. They can shove it up their backside!

DVD Box Office want me to send it back to them for repair by Nintendo US, but expect me to pay the cost of shiping it back to them, which is about £45 by DHL (i'm waiting for clarification on this though). Again, they can shove it if they think I am going to pay for a faulty item to be sent back.

I have told them they can have the whole thing back for a full refund if that is the case.

:mad::mad::mad:

Sorry but I think your expectations are pretty unreasonable. It's a US import console. It is only meant for sale in North America and therefore the warranty is only valid over there. I really don't think you can expect Nintendo UK/Europe to fix it for free under the warranty. This is something you should have considered when buying it. I also very much doubt DVD Boxoffice will give you a refund as it's still under warranty and will insist you get it fixed by Nintendo either through them or directly. They are under no obligation to give you a refund.

Sorry to sound so harsh and unsympathetic but that is the way it is and that is the risk you take with import consoles. Believe me I know as I import all my consoles. My 360 died after 18 months and could be fixed for free by MS under the three year 3 red rings warranty but I would have to ship it to them in the US. It just wasn't worth the hassle so I bought a new one. I also had a scare with my PS3 the other week when the HDMI connection stopped working after I tried to play Soul Calibur III which is a PS2 game. It may or may not have been a coincidence but luckily after leaving the console off for about 45 minutes it was working fine. It is risky to own import consoles but that is a risk you have to be prepared to live with.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom