"Disc Error" on +R Media on Sony GX300: What can cause this?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul Cooksley, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

Been using my Sony GX300 for a couple of months now, but noticed today that when trying to add an extra recording onto a +R disc that it took ages to try and load and eventually the words "DISC ERROR" appeared in the display.

Can anyone tell me: As this was an unfinalised +R disc, is there anything I can do to try and recover the recordings on it?

Also: The last thing I recorded last night on it was left on REC PAUSE whilst I was recording bits from a programme - I left the REC PAUSE on for about 45 minutes at one stage during the recording. Can this harm a recording/disc does any know?

Also: I have been using "Mr DVD" range of discs (Tesco sell them quite cheaply) - so don't know if these could be the problem or if they are known to be unreliable?

Just wondered what can cause a disc error as it was fine yesterday. I added the new recording last night, went to the title editor and titled it up (must admit, didn't try playing it back at this point - but it appeared to have recorded on the menu) - then today - nothing -just "DISC ERROR" ...

Any help really appreciated

Cheers

Paul

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Your problem may well lie here. Do you have a PC with DVD-ROM drive? If so you can download DVDInfoPro, read the media code of the disc, and let us know...

+R discs which aren't finalised are prone to data loss. I would finalise it straight away if possible. Otherwise you can use ISObuster to try and recover the recordings, but it's a long process and you should ask yourself whether it's really worth it.

Unfortunately, buying cheap discs without knowing the manufacturer (whatever the brand) is a recipe for trouble.

3. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Cheers for your reply..

I actually put the same disc in my other DVD recorder (a philips one) and this just said "empty disc" - so I made a test recording on it, which worked fine. Then I finalised the disc on the Philips and transferred it to the Sony. It worked - but I only have the test recording on there - none of the other stuff is available - it's as though I never recorded it!

So, if, say I want to add recordings to a disc each week for a while, would I be better off using +RW instead of +R do you think?

Cheers

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Definitely. +RWs are more robust in terms of retaining their recordings.

However it still doesn't explain what happened with your original recordings. Are you interested in recovering them or prepared to put it down to experience?

5. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well... I'd love to recover them - but exactly how would I go about this?

6. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    ......btw... I did what you suggested earlier and downloaded DVDInfoPro - this is the info it gave me - looks like the other recordings (which would have totalled about 45 mins in 2hr mode) are not there now...

Media Information
    Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Media code/Manufacturer ID CMC MAG F01
    Media Product Revision Number 00h
    Format Type UDF 58.0
    Volume Name PHILIPS_DVD_VR
    Application id
    Implementation id Philips DVD Video
    Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 1/ 1/2000 0:00:00
    Format Capacity 1.42GB(1.53GB)
    Book Type DVD-ROM
    Media Type DVD+R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Data area end sector B637Fh
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code
    00000000 08 02 00 00 01 02 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 0E 63 7F ..............c.
    00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 47 00 46 .......CMC MAG.F
    00000020 30 31 00 38 23 54 37 10 02 48 71 02 8C 69 16 16 01.8#T7..Hq..i..
    00000030 0B 0B 0A 0A 01 1D 1E 0C 0C 12 12 01 00 00 00 00 ................

7. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    ...Sorry !

Just to add:

I ran the "Read Error Test" on the disc and it scanned the total length of recordings (1.42 gb) and towards the end of the test it showed up many, many sector errors - they came up in this format:-

Error - LBA = 000ba73h (for example)

Now, I am no expert but presumbly this means that there is an error with the actual disc itself?

8. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It does indeed indicate a problem with the disc itself.

They are made by CMC Magnetics (third line down in the DVDInfoPro report). These are one of the worst quality discs, as you can see from here.

Disc manufacturing quality becomes more critical towards the outer edge of the disc, since the surface is passing faster under the laser.

If you want some top quality +R discs, then SVP are currently selling Ricoh dye Datawrite for £8.99 per 50 (have a look at where Ricoh are on the above reference to manufacturers). They're 4x, but top-notch and IMO should be in there alongside MCC and Taiyo Yuden.

If you want to recover your material, try ISOBuster. Instructions are fairly clear, and you may be able to recover some of the old title off the unfinalised +R.

9. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Cheers again for your info. That link you kindly provided makes very interesting reading. I shall be staying clear of "MR DVD" in future!

I was thinking about getting some Sony brand and it looks like they are quite well respected - what do you think of these in general? They tend to be far more expensive in the shops so I guess they should be good quality.

Also: Can leaving a DVD recorder in "pause" mode cause any damage to the disc - either whilst playing or indeed "Rec pause" ? I only ask as the disc (+R) that I was recording to (adding recordings bit by bit) was fine until I made a recording whereby I left the record pause mode on for 45 minutes whilst I was waiting to record another bit of a programme.....

Thanks for your help

Paul

10. parkender

parkender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have tried Mr DVD brand for recording from a Digital Camcorder onto the disc via DVD recorder and the copy was made OK, but after I ejected the disc and put it back in again after finalising, the DVD recorder said 'faulty disc' or something to that effect. This has happened twice with Mr DVD. I then tried some Phillips DVD-RW and my DVD recorder won't even recognise these discs - it just says 'faulty disc' or 'change media'. I'm beginning to think the recorder is at fault as this is the first time I've tried recording anything on it, but may try the brand reccomended above before returning the recorder to the shop!

11. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I always buy by media code and never by brand - SVP almost always give you this information which why I go there for discs. Sony have changed their disc manufacturers from time to time, and thus you never know what you're getting. If you must buy by brand though, then go for Verbatim which are invariably MCC these days (Mitsubishi).

I can't see any reason why it would. I've done it many times accidentally (albeit on a Philips DVDR rather than Sony) and never suffered an associated disc failure.