Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Disc Emporium Your Thoughts Please

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by 4K UHD Fan, Oct 2, 2003.

1. 4K UHD Fan

4K UHD Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I would just like some feedback from other DE customers as I have been a loyal customer for many years and recently have noticed that they are not providing the service they used to.

1: The price premium is supposed to be because they get product very early (used to be the earliest but I'm not so sure now). There seems to be a lot more competition around now who offer much cheaper pricing and some do registered delivery. I realise that some of the premium is because the VAT is being pre-paid but even then things like The Indy Trilogy @ £54.99 seem a little steep!

2: They seem to have a recent nasty habit of billing the credit card up to 1 week before sending the DVD's which they tell me is because they are told by their supplier that the discs are due to arrive and yet every time I have queried this have been told they are not due for another week. If you check your CC statement Indy Trilogy has just been billed on 1st Oct!

3: Their new website is terrible. It's just way too slow.

I'd love to hear from others as they have until recently been top notch. Now I'm starting to wonder if the issues I mention are the early warning signs that they can no longer compete in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I love DE but tbh I haven't used them for over a year since I discovered places like DVDSoon, Yesasia and of course Play.

Use to be the bees-knees (and I hope they still are) and got releases earlier than anyone else. Ever.

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm afraid I've kind of stopped as well. I tried to get them to price match the £38.99 Italian Job double pack with Movietymes £21.99 but they couldn't take anything off at all.

I'm beginning to get more patience with waiting for discs to be released thus removing that incentive as well.

4. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used to use them all the time for Laserdiscs, but not anymore. Their prices are too high...why pay more? CD-WOW provide best pricing generally AND excellent customer service IMO.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    I used DE for laserdiscs years ago but haven't used them since they went DVD only. The last DVD's were Fifth Element R1 and Mars Attack R2 when they came out.

I liked getting laserdiscs in 24 hours and sometimes before the film is on at the cinema.

I used to visit their shop but haven't for a while. It's there prices that are a put off. I was going to buy Highlander season one but they wanted nearly £100 for it !!

However, the customer service was good and was pleased with it. I used to get a product brochure but haven't had one for years.

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    went to use them once..after a disagreement about whether a DVD was in stock or not the owner (I assume) took the phone from the woman and started to swear down the phone..highly unimpressed, their loss..cos I spend a lot on movies :suicide:

7. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I haven't used them for a while but I wanted to get Matrix reloaded early.
    It arrived this morning, so they’re not first retailer to ship & it was delivered standard post not registered, so the price difference is looking less justified.
    As for their website, it was poor before but I think it's worse now after the revamp.
    Haven't been sworn at yet though :smashin:
    Movietyme are looking as the retailer of choice for fast delivery of US discs at a reasonable price.

Cheers, Paul

8. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I phoned at about 1pm yesterday (Friday) to buy Matrix Reloaded on the proviso it turned up today (Saturday).

It did. :D