Disc Cracking

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by celticbhoy67, Jan 5, 2007.

1. celticbhoy67

celticbhoy67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have had my 360 since demember and for christmas i got the gears of war limited edition pack. Since i got it i have played the game twice and take great care when taking it out the case. Push down in the middle and then the game will just "pop" out. I went to play it yesterday and and it wasnt reading the disc.

I took it out to give it a clean and noticed a big crack from the center of the disc. I was absoloutely furious. I havent touched my 360 while the disc is running and i definetly know that i havent done this myself . The only thing which could of done this is the console. I have 3 other games which have been played alot more than GOW and these discs are absoloutely fine.

Since this was a christmas present i have no reciept and the person which bought it for me doesnt have the reciept any more either. I do know it was bought from game though.

Is there anything i can do about this or am i resigned to buying another copy. I will be so angry if i have to do this as i am sure i have had a faulty product.

Thanks for any help

Here is a pic of the crack in the disc not the best i know but you can see the damage.

Attached Files:

2. Aminator

Aminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    youre not the only one mate, its not presonally happened to me but ive read of it before, dont know what people have done about getting replacements.

3. mark1000

mark1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    Hi,

I believe its the cases that crack the disks, there were loads of threads months ago about this issue, i keep my disks in a wallet and so far have no cracks.

Mark.

4. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm pretty sure if you send the disc off to the developers, they'll issue you a new one.

A new disc probably costs a few pence, so providing they can see that the original disc is legitimate I can't see them objecting to sending out a new one.

I'd email or call them first though to confirm.

5. celticbhoy67

celticbhoy67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I looked at this but the manual supplied with GOW is an american version and has no mention of their address and in the warranty section it says return to retailer. Again this is an american version of the manual so i dont know if it applies here.

I also just called MS and was told that i must of moved the console as there is no way that the console scratches or cracks the discs in my case.

6. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Most charge you £9.99

MY 360 ruined my PGR3 so i emailed MS about it as it was a 9.99 charge and they never emailed me back:nono: . So i went to Game printed out some pages from a forum (may have been this) and told them that it weren't my fault (they were trying to tell me it was) and i'd like an exchange, which they eventually did.

Didn't even buy the game from Game:devil:

I think the crack came from pushing the centre of the disc down to put it back in the case. Touch the disc when its been in the console for a while and its extremely hot which was probably what weakened it. I always leave em out before putting them away now.

7. celticbhoy67

celticbhoy67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ill go to game when i get time and see what they say, not having a reciept will hinder my chances alot though of getting a replacement.

8. ssjaronx4

ssjaronx4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ive had a problem with GOW as well. My 360 has never scratched a disk before but at a days worth of play, i started to get disk read errors. After ejecting the disk i noticed a deep scratch in the disk. Its really annoying aswell as its the bit of the disk which stores the end game movie so although ive completed the game i can never see the ending =P. Should i take it back to Game were i bought it of give ms a ring?

9. celticbhoy67

celticbhoy67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    MS are useless to speak to. They will just tell you that you must of moved your console and they cant do anything. I would take it back to game.

10. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Games are covered by 90 days guarantee - got my 360 back on launch day and my copy of PGR3 cracked in feb - HMV swapped it without question.

11. djt111

djt111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    try game, if not go and buy it in HMV then with your reciet take the cracked disk back and get a refund!!!

also try tesco, as they sell the games unsealed!
    say it was cracked when u got it home, should swap no prob!
    say it was on the shopping reciet and ended up in the bin

12. hurdy

hurdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Check out your statutory consumer rights on Trading Standards website - if you have faulty goods you do not need proof of purchase (excerpt below):

"I have purchased some faulty goods, but unfortunately I have lost the receipt. The trader says that, because I do not have a receipt, I do not have any rights. Is he right?"
    No! You do not have to produce a receipt in order to pursue a claim for faulty goods. However, if goods are faulty, your entitlement to a refund or repair may depend on the time that has passed since purchase. Also, if the goods have been sold at various prices then it is only fair that the trader will require proof of the purchase price or the date of purchase. Bear in mind also that if the goods are sold elsewhere, the trader will want to satisfy himself that he received the money in the first place. However, if you have a cheque stub, bank statement, or credit card slip, that should be sufficient.

So, if you just want an exchange then you will be OK - wouldn't hurt to print off the webpage and take it in with you.

13. celticbhoy67

celticbhoy67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Exactly what i needed. Thanks for the help guys i'll let you know how i get on.

14. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Did the person that paid for you pay by Credit Card, or Debit card, you could use their statments as proof of purchase.

THis happened to me, wihin 90 days you get it replaced free, and after that £10.00. It was COD2, only played it once!

15. Coolit

Coolit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I had exactly the same type of crack with Doom 3, disk 3 on the PC, it was brand spanking new and I can confirm as already said I cracked it taking it out of the box by pressing the center to hard :rolleyes:

16. hurdy

hurdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think that after 90 days you could still argue it was not fit for purpose. This is one of the manufacturer's warranties where they will replace goods within a certain time frame with no quibble. The fact that you may have owned a game for longer does not affect your stautory rights - if i fork out forty quid for a game on a CD/DVD type media there is no way I would only expect it to last for only three months!

17. celticbhoy67

celticbhoy67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well against all odds the person who bought me the game found the reciept for it.:)

I went down to game today and with a little convincing that i didnt do it myself Game were fine on giving me a replacement. Well dfone Game i thought they might be a bit arsey about it but they were fine didnt even have to bring out the printouts lol.

Thanks for the help guys