1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc can not be played?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mr Quint, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,485
    I have had The Thing (1982) on DVD R1 for about 6 years now, in fact it was one of the 1st Discs i bought.

One problem, i wanted to watch it last night and i got the message Disc Can not be played pop up on the screen, this is on my Pioneer 717, so i took it into the living room to try it on the old Pioneer 515 and got the same message.

Whats happened, is this down to Laser rot? the disc is spotless and is stored in DVD racks with the rest of my collection. :confused:

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think you mean DVD rot - Lasers don't but some discs are said to. Have a closer look, though if you are lucky some cleaning may help (maybe it got some fingerprints on it?).

3. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,485
    Nope, its spotless.

Seems i may have to buy it again, R1 or R2 Anyone?

4. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    No brainer, really...get the new R1, it's anamorphic. Quite cheap too.

5. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sad to hear it mate :thumbsdow quality film :smashin: first i've heard that DVD's rot :thumbsdow the price of my collection dictates this would be bad news :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
    i've got R2 by the way and it's good enough with a decent transfer and good if not excellent audio mix, not bad extras (good 80 mins john carpenter commentry). for a film that's 23 years old it still looks good :smashin:

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Try contacting the manufacturers. I had a defective disc in a box set that I did not discover until months after buying it. The supplier would not replace it as it was outside their 30 day returns period.

I contacted MGM/UA in the USA and they agreed to replace it, even though I was in the UK. Even let me return the individual disc to cut down on postage costs.

Received a fault free replacement within 3 weeks of sending my faulty disc off. Superb customer service and much better than their UK counterparts who won't even answer e-mails.

With luck they'll replace "The Thing" with the latest (anamorphic) edition. Just bought it a few weeks back - nice! :)

Your collection shouldn't be without this film, but you shouldn't have to pay twice for the privilege.

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    perhaps we need a thread on these forums with the contact details of all the dvd distributors, so more of us can do this. i have disney's dinosaur on dvd (region 2), and although it still works at the moment, both discs have gone misty and sticky, like the silence of the lambs/terminator ones did, so i imagine it'll only be a matter of time before it stops working. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me find an address in the uk or the us that i could email or write to about it. I also recently had a copy of the untouchables special edition, which had the regular edition disc in the box, but blockbusters wouldnt refund it because it had been 6 months, meaning in the end i had to buy another brand new copy, from Virgin, then take back the dodgy one pretending it was the one i bought from them.

8. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,485
    Thanks for all the help Fellas, must admit i will feel better when its back in the collection. :)