1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointment @ the cinema

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Lex, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    We have talked about over-rated films on here, but what about disappointing films - films that you were really looking forward to, but which turned out to be a real let-down.

Back in the mid-nineties I was really really looking forward to Judge Dredd... I wasn't really a huge Dredd fan, but it just sounded like it was going to be a fantastic sci-fi film - the teaser trailer (with specially written music by Jerry Goldsmith) was just astounding, the cinematography and sfx from the brief clips shown looked dark and epic. Danny Cannon (director) was a boyhood Dredd fan, and was mouthing off about how this was going to be the best sci-fi flick ever...

Queued up and went to see it on a special trip to london the day it was released, and Oh My God it was a pile of steaming horse ****!
    Terrible story, **** script, hideously bad acting, dodgy sfx, stupid set peices, and... Sylvester Stallone stinking the screen up like a skunk on acid!
    Boy, what a disappointment! :mad:

Another film I was really looking forward to was Star Trek Generations - I used to love TNG and thought that this film couldn't go wrong - after seven years of working together, surely they would know how to get it right? Erm, no. STUNK!

2. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It's been mentioned on here many times before, but the teaser trailer for Independence Day (dark, menacing) was a million miles away from the farce that was the feature proper (Carry On Alien, anyone ?).

-- Barry

(Oh, and I found Usual Suspects disappointing the first time I saw it, too. But I did fall asleep after the first scene and wake up just before the last -- it seemed totally clear to me -- an open and shut case, why the fuss ? :) )

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember going to see 'Housesitter' when I was at uni (or was I still at school :confused:). Anyway, I'd liked nearly all of Steve Martin's movies up until that point so was quite looking forward to it.

It was AWFUL :( I couldn't wait for it to finish :(

A confession: I liked Judge Dredd when I saw it TV :blush: Might even buy it on DVD now I think about it :blush:

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I suppose Judge Dredd could be considered 'ok' if you went into it on tv without any expectations.
    But before it was released the director was talking it up to be a real classic, and so when I went to see it I was expecting Lawrence of Arabia in space! :D

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I had no pre-conceptions about it Lex, so that probably helped. I remember just having the TV on and Judge Dredd started so I thought "ooh, I'll watch this". Quite enjoyed it :)

I think expectations have a hell of a lot to do with how you appreciate some movies. Sometimes I like to psych myself up to expect a movie to be complete rubbish and then I find I can often enjoy it more. When something is really hyped, it can rarely live up to the expectations that have built up in your mind over time, so it will always be a bit of a let down.

6. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Changing Lanes was very ordinary. I was expecting another Falling Down.

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Visually Dredd is almost stunning... the rest of the film is just ok. wish they had the balls to cast a 60-something Clint Eastwood in the role of Dredd, he was perfect for it... oh and never taken his helmet off! damn those traitors.

8. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last thing I saw at the cinema was XXX, if i hadn't been with a few people I would have left. Afterwards I had almost lost the will to live.

And yes I know it was a switch your brain off film, but even so it was rubbish.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hannibal was another big disappointment - Ridley Scott, Hannibal Lecter - how could it go wrong?! :(

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cinema howlers I've been to and almost left the auditorium for, Perfect Storm, Reign Of Fire, Highlander 3 and that lame British horror film starring Joe Absolom about a djinn, forgot the title it was so bad.

On the flipside movies I thought would be lame at the cinema but were brill were Resident Evil and We Were Soldiers (IMO the best Vietnam movie ever made).

11. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Have to agree thought We were soldiers was brilliant too

12. johndickinson

johndickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Went to the local cinema pre Christmas. What I went to see had already started so decided to see Death Watch

Not heard anything about the film, left the cinema thinking that I could not have seen anything worse. Truely terrible.

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    you have all missed the worst thing about Dredd - he took his FU**ING HELMET OFF!!!

ok, its not the worst thing - but for all dredd fans it was like telling the pope, there is no god. barmy!!!

but for pure disappointment on a night out at the pictures it would have to be "28 days later" awful pile of shi*e simply awful, no redeeming features at all (with the exception of the score - which was quite cool)

Gary

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what you get for watching 'horror' films starring a ballet dancing bloke :)

15. Elsie Grammar

Elsie Grammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Atoll K - Laurel & Hardy's last film.

I went to see it with a friend at the Picture House in 1951 and it were dreadful. James Finlayson weren't in it and their films were never any good without him. He died in 1953 you know :(

Eeeeeeeehhh the good old days :rolleyes:

16. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are movies that I looked forward to and I was let down , purely because of a lack of/confusing/daft plot.

1. Planet Of The Apes (Tim Burton)
    2. Batman & Robin-
    3. Valentine-
    4. Down To Earth- Chris Rock
    5. Pluto Nash-Eddie Murphy
    6. Independence Day
    7. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    8. Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones
    9. Escape From L.A
    10. The World Is Not Enough

I only have the SW movies in my collection from this list because I think the rest are utter crap. They're only in my collection because of the sheer amount of special features crammed onto the discs.