1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointing TV output from Shuttle/WMC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by p800aul, Apr 4, 2005.

1. p800aul

p800aul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just messing with a Shuttle XPC System G5 8300M it has an ATI X300SE (128MB) graphics card. I have a 56” rear projection TV, and the picture quality is just poor via the Shuttle which no matter what I play on it. Do I need to upgrade the video card or am I missing something. I think I’ve got it set right but it didn’t come with much guidance.

Thanks

Paul

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    What connection are you using? VGA / DVI /S-video / component?
    And what DVD codec do you have installed?

lisa

3. p800aul

p800aul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using s-video into the back of a Denon AVC-A1D, and i'm getting the same quality I get using a channel plus modulator i use to distibute around the house. I'm sorry i'm a newbie on this stuff but i read somewhere that i should try the NVIDIA DVD Decoder, which are no better (on mine anyway) that the original cyberlink ones.

thanks for your help

Paul

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Hi Paul,

I don't think its your graphics card or codec that is the problem, I take it you are using the tv-out on the graphics card which is s-video. These are not good quality solutions, it used to look terrible on my 28" widescreen CRT, so I bet it looks awful on a 56". You really need to be using the VGA or DVI output if possible... Does your tv have any other inputs apart from scart / s-video? If not it is possible to get a VGA to scart cable made, or to make one yourself... there is a thread about it on this forum, can't find the link at the mo but you can try a search.

I don't know what a channel modulater is, so if that is relevant I may have missed something here!

lisa

5. p800aul

p800aul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help Lisa

sadly the TV only has Scart and s-video so i'll have a look around if i want to use the either the DVI or VGA. While i have no clue if this will work with WMC what about this as it seem to have all of the outputs i need?

FYI a channel modulator is a piece of kit which takes an input from any source and modulates it to an unused channel so you can distribute around the house using TV type cable, it also lets you control the remote kit via infa red. see here