Disappointing service

byron_hinson

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of Tannoy HTS-101 speakers and subwoofer from Peter Tyson 11 days ago and although the sales service was excellent over the phone I've felt a bit uneasy since (hopefully unfounded).

After setting up the system I noticed a constant hum from the sub and it wouldn't go away unless it was switched off (even without RCA lead in it and no matter where it was plugged in the house).

When contacting them just 2 days after receiving the goods I was told that when they receive the sub back they will try it out and see if they can notice the problem, if so they said they will either service it or replace it.

Maybe I'm just picky, but after only having it for 1 day and now a week and a bit later I'm still without what I paid £350 for and I don't think its good enough when all they had to do was send out a replacement. If I had bought it on the high street they wouldn't be "servicing" it thats for sure.

I arranged collection the day after and Peter Tyson received it back on the Wednesday, five days after I received the goods. I didn't hear anything more until today.

They called me today to tell me that there was nothing wrong (in their opinion) with the subwoofer. Yet they also said the hum was in acceptable levels - which to me would mean silent when not in use, so that's a fault surely. So I'm returning it, sadly their returns policy means I have to not only pay to return it, but had to pay their costs for the collection of the subwoofer that they say is not faulty. So for something that didn't work from the outset and they had for 5 days, I'm already £30 down on refund.

I thought this might interest people as I'd only heard good things about the company from many people online, but personally I'd never buy from Peter Tyson again thats for sure. Great service until they take your money.

Sorry brand New sub end of . I would be on the phone tom saying the get it sorted or take it all back.

That's frustrating. I bought a cheap sub from Richer Sounds which, thankfully, they took back for a full refund after I described its constant hum. In the end I bought a BK Gemini 2 which has been great.

(I like quiet : I replaced a sony BDPS360 with a more expensive S550 because the 550 was quieter when playing discs).

Found someone else with the sub and they get no hum. Oh well

Still waiting for our money back and they got the whole lot back on Thursday, said it will take another 3-4 days for them to check it. grrr. Since gone out and got a Canton Movie 125 MX set for less after losing money with Peter Tyson, not as great but no hum at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom