Disappointing Floorstander Sound - very little bass

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Barny_C, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Barny_C

Barny_C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any bright ideas to help...

I have recently changed my audio setup. I formerly had a cambridge audio a4 amp biwired to a pair of floorstanding Mordaunt Short M25i's. The sound from these, regardless of input, was great. It was engaging and full, with not too much treble and just the right amount of bass.

I have changed this (due to changing family circumstances) amp and now have an Onkyo TXSR 576 (7.1 AV receiver). I have "bi-amped" (following the manufacturers instructions, and I am aware of the minefield surrounding the debate between whether it's bi-amped or bi-wired and don't want to get bogged down in semantics.....) these speakers and suddenly, when playing stereo music, the sound is really quite poor.

I have the rest of the av receiver connected to a tannoy sub and surround speakers, so it's a 5.1 system with the front speakers bi-amped into the front and surround back channels.

Why, when listening to music without the sub, is the sound so weak? It's really treble-heavy, even after I've fiddled with the levels...I like my music and want to rely on the floorstanders for it, and not to use the sub to fill it out.

Any help would be so helpful! Thanks everyone.

2. leedude03

leedude03

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    did you have the sub running in the firt config with the ca and are you running the speakers full range or do you have them crossed over via the onkyo spkr config

3. Barny_C

Barny_C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, the sub is a new addition (just for movies really) and I didn't have it on the camb audio amp. As for crossovers, I've tried every setting on the onkyo, ranging from 140-80 kHz in 20 gradations, but it doesn't seem to change it much...

4. bohane

bohane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    does the onkyo have a 2ch stereo or 'direct' mode? this should give you just the front two speakers unafected by any crossover settings.

andy

5. leedude03

leedude03

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    the setting for that would be pure audio iirc,

6. Barny_C

Barny_C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funnily enough, the pure audio setting is the one I've been using (as I figured it would be the easiest way to use just the fronts)

7. ARNOLD AKIEN

ARNOLD AKIEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    How are you sourcing your music? Do you have a separate C.D. player or are you, say, using a DVD Player for all sound input?

I use a Denon 2808 Receiver and whilst Denon is rather more 'musical ' than onkyo I do use an Arcam CD73T and Cord Cobra analogue leads to the receiver which is set to pure for stereo from the CD player... and so it is the Arcam that provides the sound parameters to my B and W 704 front speakers.

It may well be that it is your source that is the problem rather than the amplification.

Try a CD player and analogue leads to the Receiver and see - or rather Hear - what happens.

Arnold.

8. Barny_C

Barny_C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arnold Akien,

I think you've cracked it... it is a source problem rather than an amp issue.

Using analogue leads to connect a cd player to the amp gives a much better sound.

So there's the lesson...if you want deeper, fuller and better sound for music don't rely on an hdmi cable to strip the audio off a cd playing in a dvd player. Use cd player (or dvd player at a pinch) with designated analogue leads. And magically the sound improves! It's no longer tinny or middle-heavy. The bass has returned

Thanks for your help everyone!!

9. ARNOLD AKIEN

ARNOLD AKIEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347

And now that you Know This you'll start to look around for a better CD player and more expensive analogue leads.

Never let it be said that I'd saved anyone any Money! :devil:

Arnold.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009