Disappointing Dolby Digital on Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Bleach, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got to say that the DD5.1 from Sky is very disappointing. Not the quality, but the quantity. 1 channel outputting in 5.1!!!! :mad: There are 2 on boxoffice, but only 1 in your normal subscription, Sky Movies WS. Even some of these films are DS not DD, I'm not impressed and thought Sky would of got round to putting more DD channels on by now. Simular piont, why the lack of WS movie channels? BBC and ITV is output in WS, why aren't more movie channels?
    Am I alone here? :thumbsdow

2. sifowler

sifowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky will be broadcasting all Movie Channels in widescreen from this summer. All box office film channels are going widescreen sooner than that (next month I think).

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    With only around 70,000 subscribers with the hardware to output DD5.1 it's no real surprise that SKY do not allocate expensive bandwidth to broadcast the data. Sooner or later that will change when SKY see a marketing opportunity or they can no longer justify not spending the money to upgrade broadcast hardware/purchase movies with DD5.1 soundtracks.

The move to W/S obviously means they have finally upgraded the broadcast suites and that should also mean a capability to broadcast DD5.1 on any channel.

4. sifowler

sifowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its no real surprise that there are so few subscribers to Sky+. Its not great value for money in my opinion and people who are interested in DD5.1 will probably have the DVD set-up anyway. Until DD5.1 becomes broadcast standard and the boxes are cheaper I'm quite content with listening to moves in DPL2.

5. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm happier knowing that Sky do have future plans to go more WS and maybe DD in a few months time. It's a bit depressing having just the one move channel outputting in WS/DD after spending all that money on the system. It was one of -if not- the main reason I bought Sky+ in the first place, but nothings changed in the last 12 months or so and I was just having a whinge! Some people are never happy eh?!? :)

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah, i think the extra £10 a month or whatever on top of the sub is a bit much, considering you're preusmably paying for EPG info with the basic subscriptions. And it's certainly going to look like bad value if these Freeview boxes do get this free EPG from Gemstar or whoever

7. toby

toby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know all movies will be going W/S, but have Sky announced that this will also mean DD on all channels ???

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Nothing was said at the time in regard to DD5.1 being broadcast on all the movies channels when they switch to w/s.