1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointing Center Speaker Performance

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ShinObiWAN, Jun 26, 2004.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now almost positive that the weak link in my setup now is the center - a Paradigm CC370, which I suppose you could argue that its not a very good center speaker in the first place.

I use 10ft projection screen and whilst the rest of the sound is as expansive as I could wish for, the center channel tends to sound small and claustrophobic when the trying to relay dialogue and effects.

Whilst a normal center may be fine for a 42" plasma, it simply doesn't convince when you compare the onscreen action to the sound relayed when viewing on a 120" screen.

So whilst this may sound a little mad I believe it could offer a much larger reproduction of center channel information. How about using a stereo pair of bookshelfs or more specifically using a pair of my KEF RDM Ones which were used as rears and placing them at the very edge of the upper screen corners.

I guess I can only find out if this will work once I've tried it. Would be interested to hear from other though.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I believe that the only reason behind your unhappiness with your centre speaker is due to it's quality and is nothing to do with it's size, or lack thereof.

It may not be a very good speaker but it doesn't help your cause by being a tonal mismatch to your main pair as that will exaggerate all of the problems.

Whizz one of your rears round to the centre and the soundstaging and dialogue should improve at a stroke.

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice Ian.

Had a little play with just one RDM 1 at the center and I find it does make a difference though not nearly enough.

- I suspect your words are all too true, like any speaker the front pair have their own unique character and the tonal mismatch is ruining the sound. Looks like I'm going to have to build a matching centre too.