Disappointing bass levels

S

Sienna

Hi everyone,
I have just connected my Sony SAVE705 speaker system to my STRDB1070 amp, now although I know Sony are not renouned for their speaker kits I have to say that I am very disappointed by the bass output from the sub, it simply hasn't got any balls! I have got the level up to almost max!.... is there a simple sollution to this????

Any tips would be great!
Thanks

Sienna
:kisses:

I think you'll have trouble finding anyone on here who would agree that Sony are 'renowned for the speaker kits', except renowned in a negative way maybe.

Judging by the Sony speaker kits I have heard over the last couple of years, I would fully agree with you about the lack of performance from the sub, but this is it's level of performance, and probably nothing you are doing wrong. As many on here will tell you, you can't get good bass from a small driver/box.

buy a better sub?! :D

Im surprised you dont get sufficient bass, id have thought you would have gotten a load of slow boomy bass.

i imagine something is set up a bit wrong, but not knowing the amp, i cant really say.

a
d

Funnily enough, I had a Sony STRDB-925 mixed the 705 series of Pascal speakers. I really hate saying this because I know how it feels when someone says that your system isn’t up to much, but, your system isn’t up to much.

However, although the bass was shabby, I never needed to have it any louder then the 10 – 12 o’clock positions to be able to hear it effectively. I would suggest that you check the Sony amp speaker settings may be set ‘Large’ meaning that the bass is sent to the speakers rather then the sub. You really have to set ALL speakers to ‘Small’ so that the sub gets the low frequency.

If this isn’t the case, then give us a shout back.

Have you experiemented with your sub's placing? Sub placement has a massive effect on the sound.... - a common suggestion to find the best spot is to put the sub in the prime listening position, whilst playing bassy material & then walking around the room until you find the spot where the bass sounds best - this is the spot where you should put your sub.

I've been in plenty of demo rooms whereby the bass is overwhealming in some parts of the room - and absolutely non-existant in others. Placing the sub in a corner should re-inforce the sound, though different subs will be more suited to others in a corner... - as you may find it just increases boom.

Thanks all, I'll check the amp set up tonight but the sub is in the corner of the room on a wooden floor so would have thought it was a prety good location, also my old Sony Sub was fine - wish I hadn't bothered to change it now! but will experiment with the position.
Thanks again for the advice

Sienna
:(

yeah - do a bit of experimenting.... which corner?? You may find you need to place it next to your sofa.....???

Who knows.... - good luck!

I have checked the amp set up and all speakers are set to 'small' I have even spent time trying to find the rooms sub sweet spot but to no avail.
I have to have the dial on the sub at almost full to get any sort of impact and even then it's not great, my old sub from the Sony HTK170 starter level kit was sooooo much better!!!:mad:

Don't know what else to do...

Don't know whether it is worth trying but a mate of mine had a similar set up, Pioneer system, same sort of thing 5xsatellites and a sub, he got better results when the speakers were set to large.

Spending your hard earned cash on something and being deeply disapointed is terrible. Where did you buy your kit from?

It may be worth (you have nothing to lose) going back to the vendor and expressing how weak this sub sounds. The fact that your other sub sounded so much better leaves them little room to argue that your environment is to blame.

Did you demo before you buy?

Hi-fi can sound so different in different rooms - and for this reason they may be willing to work something out (swap for something else??????????)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom