Disappointed, was it my expectations or just my set up?

baz995

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, bit of a noob question really as I decided to go ahead and get a 4k player as Santa was kind to me with gift cards this year. I sadly don't have the budget for a Gucci player so after reading reviews I opted for the Sony UBP X700 which after gift cards I got for £110. Really excited to get it all installed and to flash up Planet Earth 2 on UHD. I am running it via the right HDMI cable through my RX-V583 to my LG B7. I have previously set up my screen following advice from Steve Withers but have to say I was a bit unimpressed watching the disc. Viewing distance is just over 6ft from the screen as it's all set up in our snug. As above, I don't have an amazing budget but have been hopeful that the setup is good enough for what I need. I'm just thinking that did I expect too much from the jump to UHD player or is there something simple in my setup/settings that is holding it back?

Any advice would be greatly received

When you watch a uhd disc did you get a on screen message saying an hdr movie is playing (normally top right corner), also is there a TV setting for uhd input, my Samsung has a HDMI uhd setup and I have to enable it to get hdr.

Hi Razy, I do get the HDR and DV logo pop up. I'll double check in the tv settings for a uhd option.

Hi Razy, I do get the HDR and DV logo pop up. I'll double check in the tv settings for a uhd option.
Your TV is UHD 4K. The options you will find will be different settings under picture mode. These can and do make a difference. You may be better off reverting to shipping conditions or default whatever it is called on LG. If you mess around too much it can have an adverse effect, Steve is an expert but each set is different and calibration is something of an art.

As for players then they can also make a difference. Go through your manual and see if you have made any adjustments to any settings that may have an influence on the image. If your TV is showing HDR or DV then your are certainly getting a correct signal from the player.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom