Disappointed by LED

liteswap

Standard Member
So I went along today hoping to pick up a 4k Panasonic Viera TX-50CX802 from Currys, as it's now end of line (last year's model) and selling for a very reasonable £789 (less another £50 with a voucher code). Considering they were £1,299 six months ago, this looked like a bargain.

My plan was to replace my 10yo Pioneer PDP-427XD plasma (42-inch, 1024x768 resolution) with something more modern - surely LED would have caught up with plasma by now?

Credit card sweaty in palm, I went to Currys to look it over, having reserved the last one in stock over the phone. I took with me a USB stick with some video of typical viewing from my perspective - a clip of about a minute each from:
1. The opening sequence of Master & Commander - dark and gloomy with plenty of detail in the shadows - 1080p
2. The last F1 race - lots of movement - 1080p
3. A clip from Casablanca (1941 B&W film, SD)

I switched video mode to True Cinema and switched off adaptive brightness. Even so, I couldn't believe that the picture I get from my Pioneer is still better in terms of shadow detail and crisp zero-blur movement. The Pana barely resolved any shadow detail, and fast movement was blurred (though I'd guess I would probably be able to tune some of this out). Granted it wasn't ideal viewing with a bright TV just behind me but even so.

My credit card stayed in my pocket.

So now it's probably a long old wait for the first flat 50-inch OLED screen which I guess is now the only way for me to go.

A salutary tale: plasma still wins.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
You said it your self, viewing in a bright room, so no way a true comparison can be made, motion wise, hard to say, depending on what settings you used.......never been a fan of panny led motion myself.

Dodgexander

I think you have to stretch to a high end LCD with fald to beat a Plasma. Or an OLED like you say.

Even then you might find it isn't as good in some respects. Especially for old content.

HDR etc will look better on those high end TVs of course but that's a rare premium still.

PS something else that hasn't improved with new LCDs is viewing angle. It's actually got worse with VA panels!

liteswap

Standard Member
I think you have to stretch to a high end LCD with fald to beat a Plasma. Or an OLED like you say.

Even then you might find it isn't as good in some respects. Especially for old content.

HDR etc will look better on those high end TVs of course but that's a rare premium still.

PS something else that hasn't improved with new LCDs is viewing angle. It's actually got worse with VA panels!
Yes, it's the old content that gives me pause - I've lots of it and I do watch it, but I do worry that the forensic level of detail that a 4k OLED (or even a 1080p OLED) will unveil might be too much. Any experience from anyone?

Dodgexander

For old content the less you have to scale the better. If you're talking DVDs, standard TV and streams etc then they will all look better on a 1080p screen or even 720p or lower. On a 4k TV they will look worse.

If you have a lot of old content getting a UHD TV is kind of pointless. You will get the best picture from a good plasma.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom