1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappearing Freeview channels !

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by PKblue, Dec 3, 2003.

1. PKblue

PKblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used to have a Daewoo STB and got all Freeview channels fine. A couple of weeks back Channel 5 and some other higher numbered channels just disappeared. I have now bought a Sony STB but the channels were not recognised when it scanned for setup. I can still get C5 via analogue, though it is very poor signal.

I am thinking of getting a signal booster. If that works, will the STB automatically add C5 back in ? It doesn't appear in the Channel list at all, and there is no option in the menu system for manually adding a channel !

Thanks

PK

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    Yes, the newer boxes automatically 'find' whatever is there to be found. Missing channels is a symptom of poor reception which may come about because of a poor aerial feed, a poor aerial and/or temporarily reduced power at the transmitter. A signal booster may or may nor help. If the signal you are receiving is 'noisy' (eg due to a bad connection or a shifted aerial) then it will amplify the noise as well as the signal and may not produce good results. Before buying one, you should recheck that your aerial is still positioned correctly and that the cables from it are intact with tightly wired plugs etc. The FIRST device the aerial line should go into, after it comes out fof the wall, is your Freeview box.

3. JonathanKnight

JonathanKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem when I first got my freeview box, couldn't get BBC1,2 ITV C4 C5. It turned out to be my aerial. Actually it was down to the fact that the "prongs" that stick out of the aerial were horizontal, once I rotated the aerial 90 degrees it was fine.

4. PKblue

PKblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I unfortunately live in a block of flats with a shared aerial. When I asked the landlord if he would consider upgrading the aerial to improve Freeview reception he said "What is Freeview ?". Great....though being a landlord I think he had more of a problem with the word Free ! hehe

I will try a signal booster and hope that that helps.

5. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I could be wrong but a shared aerial signal is already amplified? Usually a masthead amp and distribution box should be visible on the aerial pole. :confused: