1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappearing EPG on Philips HDRW720

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sjrooney, Mar 31, 2005.

1. sjrooney

sjrooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Philips HDRW720 for a few months now and it has never gone for more than about 10 days without losing the EPG and timer functionality. What happens is that when I press the Guide button on the remote all I see is the information bars at the top and bottom of the screen, likewise if I press the timer button. So when the EPG goes I can't do any sort of timed recording. I've updated the firmware to 2.6 and 3.0 and neither has made any difference. The only way to get the EPG back is a hard reset which of course clears out the EPG until it downloads again.
    Does anybody else have this problem or do I just have a faulty unit? Or any tips on how to stop this happening in the first place?

Thanks
    Steve

2. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect the EPG is not updating (as it should) - That's because it can't find the 'host' channel (ITV on internal tuner or Eurosport on external tuner), and that in turn is because you may not have the correct service settings (which is not always possible - as in my case NTL service with samsung tuner)

Switch it to your host channel manually (it basically can't find it on it's own), before you put it in standby

3. What Happend

What Happend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Try the selftest on the unit (remove power cable, press and hold play on front panel, plug in power cable, continue to hold play until testing starts.)

I have had my unit lose its EPG config about every 10 days. Mine will show me the EPG install wizard on the next power up.

I get a failure code on the selftest so I thought that my EPG guide might have a faulty memory chip or something. I am waiting for all tv shows to go into reruns to send the unit to philips for repair.

4. sjrooney

sjrooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried that but it makes no difference, it is not that the grid is empty, the grid just isn't there. The post following yours looks like it is worth a try

Cheers,
    Steve

5. sjrooney

sjrooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after 3 firmware upgrades on this thing and not being able to go for more than about a week without losing the EPG I finally called out the service engineer. All he wanted to do was a firmware upgrade. No point I said, tried that 3 times already and told him to take it away and fix it. 4 weeks :eek: later I get the unit back, plug it all in and in the morning no EPG :mad: All they did was a firmware upgrade. It has now gone back to the store and this time they say it is going back to Philips for a proper repair. If it still comes back faulty I'll be asking for a replacement unit and if that has the same problem I'll be asking for an equivalent model from a different manufacturer. So my question is, what HDD/DVD recorders are available with a similar feature set to the Philips i.e. decent EPG, timeslip and archiving to DVD that work well with a Sky box?

Steve

6. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you set it to the host channel before you go to bed?

Pioneer 920 @ £1000

You can buy machines much cheaper, albeit no EPG (back to VHS programming - like before computers were invented)

if you want to wait few months - i think there will be a few more machines to incl EPG this year

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,205
    The Pioneer 920 has all the features of the Philips and alot more - although you'll have to pay alot more (£800). Both the new JVC models and some new Pioneer's sport Guideplus as well - although the Guideplus system itself isn't that good. It doesn't have the bandwidth which is why several major companies that use it worldwide have decide not use it in the UK. Your much better off getting Sky+.

8. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite sure why bandwidth is an issue - it doesn't affect me - I'm happy with a daily update - or even whether it 'is' an issue - There's prolly less information in a 14 day x 100 channels text download than there is to supply 50 pixels - if you consider that the signal refreshes better than 60 million pixels per second (just a guess) + sound, it puts it in perspective

Guide+ is in the process of a project with Radio Times web site which will make this the EPG without peers - and of course it's FREE

P.S. I just realised what your problem is (suprised the service engineer didn't notice - ahem - no i'm not) - the EPG need an analogue signal supply - a std aerial will do - failing that you should be able to use R/F out from your sky digibox

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,205
    Which is fair enough. But most companies want a EPG that responds to last minute programme changes. Sky's does, Freeview does, internet based guides do - and thus the daily updates of Guideplus don't really cut it. Which is one of several reasons why it has been omitted in the UK on selected Panasonic models. Surely even you Jethro can deduce that there may be some perceived problem with Guideplus UK when the Panasonic models launch with it EVERYWHERE but the UK!

Yes. The extra £100 you pay for a Philips DVDR/HDD over that of the competition is peanuts. One born every minute ;)

10. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are much more obvious reasons why other companies don't include an EPG - namely price - you said yourself it 'costs', and UK markets are always the most reluctant to pay

There's more than one born every minute - I wouldn't buy anything without an EPG & i'm not alone - by 'Free', i meant no subscription charges, unlike sky+

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,205
    Well good for you. Thankfully the rest of us with a little more knowledge understand the various options a little better! Ext Link, Sky+, PVRs, Internet based EPGs etc etc. There are dozens of options...

12. sjrooney

sjrooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure did. As I said earlier, it is not a case of the grid being empty, rather no EPG grid at all. Not only that, I can't even do a manual timed recording when the EPG goes either. A hard reset will restore the functionality but then I have to wait usually overnight until the EPG is populated. Doing this on a weekly basis is a pain in the a***

Steve

13. sjrooney

sjrooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ is all very well, but I don't have any premium channels so I either have to upgrade my package or stump up £10 a month just to be able to use it properly. No thanks. It doesn't archive to DVD either.

Steve

14. sjrooney

sjrooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The unit is connected to a standard aerial so that isn't the problem. When the Guideplus EPG is working it is great, I'd just like it to work for more than a week without having to reset the unit.

Steve

15. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you seem to have tried all the right things - you definately have something interupting your service - to eliminate any set up issues at all, you could try resetting the epg all together:

just switch the country (this will flush the buffer)
    switch the country back to UK (i assume)
    reset to sky service & digibox
    it might be worth noting that HDRW720 doesn't have all services/digiboxes available out-of-the-box (mine wasn't) - these are part of Guide+ update in their own right - i.e additional services and digboxes will become available after 48 hours (couple of downloads or so) - you might find now, that you have additional choices which better describes your service & digibox

failing all that, i think it's a bad box - after only 3 months Philips are entitled to verify whether it's faulty and if so, you should know you're entitled to get your money back and buy something different - Rascak will recommend a whole host of better alternatives & whilst none have an EPG, he suggests they're fine without one - only you can be the judge of that - it's just a shame you haven't really had the chance to benefit from it

16. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just because I've only had this machine, doesn't mean i can't appreciate it's features - just like i don't need to buy a car without wheels to appreciate the car i have that's got some

1/ Sky+ has an EPG

2/ PVR's have an EPG

3/ Ext Link? I don't think so - i'm not even convinced it's as good (convenient) as video+ codes out the paper, but it's clearly not in the same league as built-in EPG

Asides EPG - a couple of other things our friend will take for granted in the alternatives you offer

Controlling his sky tuner - Eliminates all but the Tosh - Ext link? - i'll let you try and sell him that idea

Rewind upto 6 hours live TV - it's only fair you point out the machines that have to be set to record manually (i.e. can't really rewind live TV since it's 'by definition', a retrospective decision)

Think that leaves realistic alternatives to HDW720 as Sky+ (£10 month - no archiving) or the Tosh - since i haven't heard of many Toshes reading DVD's, that's little more than an expensive PVR - although i haven't seen many posts about the new tosh, so maybe they fixed it, so maybe that's the kiddy

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,205
    You really don't have a clue do you Jethro. Do you really think only the Philips and Toshiba models have digibox control? Are you that out of touch? Do you really think that only the Philips have EPGs? Of course you don't. You're just trying to mislead him. I will leave sjrooney to your advice Jethro - maybe you can sell him another lemon :rolleyes:

18. sjrooney

sjrooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a trawl around the web the Pioneer 530h looks like it is an ideal fit to requirements, only problem is that it doesn't look like it is available in the UK yet. Does anybody know if and when it will be launched in the UK and if it will have the Guideplus EPG on it?

Steve

19. sjrooney

sjrooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also fairly sure it is a bad box. The problem is that after a hard reset (hold on/off button before powering up) it looks like it is working fine so trying to convince Philips the box is faulty might be difficult, but when it goes a HDD recorder without any timed recording facility is all but useless. I just hope that Philips can sort it out because when it is working it is a great machine.

Steve

20. JamesyC

JamesyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been experiencing a similar problem, every now and again the guide programme info has not updated - the channels are all still there but the grid is blank.
    After resetting and waiting overnight it seems ok, though only appears to download 1-2 days max of programme info for all channels. It appears to switch to British Eurosport channel ok though sometimes cannot get the information.
    I have an analogue connection and sky dig, even altering the guide, editor to change ITV from the EXT2 sky box (channel 103) to analogue channel 03 makes no difference.
    Seem to be doing everything else I can think of alright such as standby overnight, sky always on, sky digi remote controller link works alright (tested using the trick by pressing 'timer' then blue button to access the guide grid then unlock the channel and press ok on a guide line to change the sky box channel via the guide plus screen).
    Anyway it's really starting to annoy especially as you tend to have to wait a while/overnight to repopulate the guide programme details. The only thing I have spotted is if I leave the machine on tuned to analogue ITV it tends to repopulate the programmes in a few hours rather than overnight...