1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disapointed with pc on panny

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ddaddy, Feb 17, 2003.

1. ddaddy

ddaddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After having my panny 5 for a week now, i think it is absolutely brilliant, except for the pc resolution :(

When reading up on the panny5, i didnt give the resolution a second thought, but now im very disapointed. 848x480 stinks. Not many games will work at this resolution as they require 800x600. i can get the panny to run at 800x600 but it looks wierd as its not a widescreen resolution.

Are there any other resolutions you can use on the panny.

cheers

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    With a two easy steps...

Firstly, you need PowerStrip to enable to create a custom resolution. In you case 852x480 (for 42" Panny) at required refresh rate (60, 75, 85Hz), the higher the better.
    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm

Secondly, you need to "snap in" the picture. This is the process of getting a one-to-one pixel match, i.e. no distortion. Search this forum for detailed instructions.

If you are running Windows XP, turn on "Clear Type" which is anti-aliasing for fonts on LCD and plasma displays.

If you are running games, because the resolution is less you can increase anti-alias settings and not take a hit on frame-rate. So you may be able to run 4x Anti-aliasing or other types of AA; the picture should look as good as running at high resolution with no anti-aliasing on.

Many games let you change the resolution to 852x480 in the .ini file that configures the game (not through the menus).

StooMonster

3. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I must say that the "Clear Type" option makes a huge difference!!! Many thanks StooMonster for the tip.

Personally I've always thought that the 852x480 resolution isn't much use for a desktop as most windows require a vertical resolution of 600 plus to show in their entirety.

I'd use a higher resolution as the up-scaling is really quite good!

4. ddaddy

ddaddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ye, thanks. Using Powerstrip i have got my pc to work at 124x768. Although not crystal clear whn it comes t reading text, its a hel of a ot better tan unning at 852x480.

cheers