Disadvantages of a 3LCD RPTV ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Avalan, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Avalan

Avalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all, I currently have a Samsung LE32R41B LCD TV and while in general, it is not a bad unit, I have some major gripes which make me want to buy a different TV for our new home (where I'll make a dedicated DVD/games room). The current problems are :
    * low-light scenes have a very red cast over them.
    * low-light red suffers from insufficient color depth. I've had DVD scenes where I could literally see the pixels in the gradients (e.g. rooms with red walls).
    * some very weird effects, which I think are due to slow response of the LCD or digital processing. The most notable example is '24' S1. Already from the first scene parts of the image look very 'wobbly'. I cannot explain it better, but especially in the faces it looks absolutely horrible. Unfortunately it was the entire 24 hours that looked sub par. I wonder if it is partly due to the very grainy recording.

Anyway, another reason of replacing the TV is that the new room would be dedicated to DVD and gaming, and I would therefore like to have a much larger screen. I am thinking of at least 42" with a viewing distance of 7'. So I was thinking of either a RPTV or a projector. Currently I'm favoring the Sony 3LCD RPTVs, but now I was wondering if the LCD RPTVs share the same issues as a normal LCD panel TV ? (I'll sure be using the 24 DVD as a test in the shops).

Tnx

2. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Well, my experience of 3LCD RPTV (in the shape of the Sony...because there is no other example) wasn't particularly positive; although I'm not convinced there's a 1:1 mapping with your experience of direct-view LCD, some of what I saw does seem to strike a chord. I hasten to add this is just my view - there are plenty of content owners on this forum, and I personally never viewed an HD source - but if I had a choice I'd be looking at DLP instead (if I didn't suffer from rainbows) and perhaps the forthcoming LCoS sets from Sony that might provide an interesting alternative to both LCD and DLP.