disablity benefit advice needed


Established Member
My 81 year old mum will shortly be getting a blue disabled badge as she struggles to get about (can only walk 10 yards or so with an aid). My question is, would she be entitled to disabilty/mobilty allowance and if she is, is it means tested and what are the first steps to go about doing this.

Any help very much appreciated, thanks,



Distinguished Member
She must be in receipt of the mobility component and it must be at the higher rate.

Simply send proof which should be the original letter, which shows the benefit she is getting ( D.L.A.) and at what rate ( higher, I think its £59 or £71 a week.

Fill in the renewal and take the document along to your local council travel concessions service and it should be renewed within 2 working weeks.

Without this proof they won’t renew it and it must be at the Higher rate only.


Established Member
this will be my mum's first ever claim for disability, but do need to know if it is means tested as she owns the house she's living in and has some savings. If it is means tested the whole procedure would be pointless. thanks for both replies so far ;)


Prominent Member
DLA is not means tested it is based purely on what your 'disability' is and what effect it has on your life.

They type of questions that it asks are things like, how far can you walk, can you use the toilet on our own, can you lift your arms above your head etc etc. The form is available to fill in online (then you can just print it out).

I wasn't asked to attend any sort of medical interview but did of course have to provide my consultants contact details. The whole thing took a couple of months IIRC and was reviewed every 3 years but now I am on it for the foreseeable.


Senior Moderator
As indicated previously, she is over age for a new DLA claim therefore the benefit she is aiming at is attendance allowance.

I would advise making an appointment with a welfare rights adviser at the local authority. S/he can assist with completing the documentation, its not difficult but its an exercise you will want to get right first time. Get the documentation asap, as benefit entitlement will be back-dated to the date stamped on the claim pack.

Additionally, submit a request for a discretionary parking permit through your local authority social services. This may involve an assessment with a council occupational therapist.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung & LG UK TV Prices 2023; Amazon Fire TV Cube; Calibration Tools of the Trade + AV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom