Disabling Digital Output CD Player?

MrRoarke

Standard Member
Reaction score
I own a Marantz CD6006 CD player. In the settings, there is an option to shut off the digital output. Does anyone know what purpose that serves, as opposed to just leaving it on and not using it? The only thing I can imagine is that it has something to do with sound quality, However, I tried it both ways, and the sound is exactly the same.

Earlier versions of these CD players (6004) it did recommend in the manual turning off the digital out if it was not being used to improve sound quality. If you cannot hear a difference then I wouldn't worry about what you cannot hear.

I own a Marantz CD6006 CD player. In the settings, there is an option to shut off the digital output. Does anyone know what purpose that serves, as opposed to just leaving it on and not using it? The only thing I can imagine is that it has something to do with sound quality, However, I tried it both ways, and the sound is exactly the same.
It presumably means that the unused output socket that may pick up unwanted interference that it could pass back, is physically isolated. Uou're unlikely to hear the difference unless an open-ended cable is attached.

It presumably means that the unused output socket that may pick up unwanted interference that it could pass back, is physically isolated. Uou're unlikely to hear the difference unless an open-ended cable is attached.
That doesn't stack up for optical though.

That doesn't stack up for optical though.
Good point - or maybe irrelevant point? -I was assuming the isolation setting related to digital coax or AES/EBU outputs.

Does the Marantz suggest that Settings disconnects the optical output? I suspect not and it only affects the electronic outputs.

Turning digital output off
When the digital audio output terminals are not used, you can enjoy higher quality music by turning digital output off. For details on the settings, see “CD D-OUT (CD digital output settings)” (vpage 20).

You can only turn them both (opt and coax) on or off together.

Exactly the same on my sa8005. Digital outputs are on by default. I've turned them off as I only have analogue running out. Does it make a difference. I haven't a scooby doo.

This is an old thread but hopeful for a response. The marantz cd6007 you can turn digital out off. But I presume a digital disc being read by optical & sent out through the optical lead into the optical input would be purer than analogue. Ps I have the matching marantz amp.

This is an old thread but hopeful for a response. The marantz cd6007 you can turn digital out off. But I presume a digital disc being read by optical & sent out through the optical lead into the optical input would be purer than analogue. Ps I have the matching marantz amp.
Depends on how good the DAC in the player is and how good the analogue circuits of that player are. The shorter the route for decoding, should, in theory be the best. Both cd6007 and pm6007 share the same DAC so the outcome should be the same.

I have owned both the Marantz cd6006 and sa8005 both of which were equipped with the same DAC but the sa8005 was the better player because of it's superior analogue circuits. Both were at one time connected to the same pure analogue stereo amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom