Disabling Digital Output CD Player?

MrRoarke

Standard Member
I own a Marantz CD6006 CD player. In the settings, there is an option to shut off the digital output. Does anyone know what purpose that serves, as opposed to just leaving it on and not using it? The only thing I can imagine is that it has something to do with sound quality, However, I tried it both ways, and the sound is exactly the same.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Earlier versions of these CD players (6004) it did recommend in the manual turning off the digital out if it was not being used to improve sound quality. If you cannot hear a difference then I wouldn't worry about what you cannot hear.

Hear Here

I own a Marantz CD6006 CD player. In the settings, there is an option to shut off the digital output. Does anyone know what purpose that serves, as opposed to just leaving it on and not using it? The only thing I can imagine is that it has something to do with sound quality, However, I tried it both ways, and the sound is exactly the same.
It presumably means that the unused output socket that may pick up unwanted interference that it could pass back, is physically isolated. Uou're unlikely to hear the difference unless an open-ended cable is attached.

larkone

Distinguished Member
It presumably means that the unused output socket that may pick up unwanted interference that it could pass back, is physically isolated. Uou're unlikely to hear the difference unless an open-ended cable is attached.
That doesn't stack up for optical though.

Hear Here

That doesn't stack up for optical though.
Good point - or maybe irrelevant point? -I was assuming the isolation setting related to digital coax or AES/EBU outputs.

Does the Marantz suggest that Settings disconnects the optical output? I suspect not and it only affects the electronic outputs.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Turning digital output off
When the digital audio output terminals are not used, you can enjoy higher quality music by turning digital output off. For details on the settings, see “CD D-OUT (CD digital output settings)” (vpage 20).

You can only turn them both (opt and coax) on or off together.

gibbsy

Exactly the same on my sa8005. Digital outputs are on by default. I've turned them off as I only have analogue running out. Does it make a difference. I haven't a scooby doo.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom