Disabling child lock Panasonic DMR BWT 700 (or similar)

andyjl65

Standard Member
Reaction score
The title should more accurately be Resetting unknown PIN...

I bought one of these second (+) hand units from a store on eBay as a Christmas present in November but it took until recently to discover the original owner had put their own unique child lock PIN number into the machine so many post watershed recordings cannot be accessed. Is there a method of resetting this to the default 0000 as the company that sold the unit are not replying. I don't think I could face trying 10000 combinations! Thanks.

• Power the unit on.
  • Open the unit's drawer.
  • Select the BD drive with the Drive Select button.
  • Press and hold the REC and PLAY buttons on the front of the unit together for 5 seconds until the display shows INIT.
  • Confirm that the front display shows 'INIT'.
  • The parental PIN code has now been reset to the default code of '0000'.

Thanks for the reply, I have tried this one before to know avail. There is no REC button on the player itself, only Stop and Play (x1.3) .
When these two are pressed simultaneously it merely reduces the HDMI output quality to 720.
Pressing REC and Play together on the remote, has no effect at all.
Regards Andy.

OK Understood. That was from a similar machine from a similar period - which I would have expected to work.

Try this - It is machine specific:

The rating level returns to the factory preset.

1 - While the unit is on, press and hold [OK], the yellow button and the blue button on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds.–“00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display.

2 - Repeatedly press [>] (right) on the remote control or [Power button] on the main unit until “03 VL” is displayed on the unit’s display.

3 - Press [OK] on the remote control or [< OPEN/ CLOSE] on the main unit.
–“INTI” is displayed on the unit’s display.​

However - It is not clear whether the above would actually return the Parental Pin Number to 0000 ( albeit the 'INIT' in the display - similar to the first method suggests it may)

The reset options, again, are slightly ambiguous ( as so often from Panasonic) but they imply ( by what is said in the Default Settings option) that a shipping reset ( Manual page 103 ) would produce a Parental Control Pin reset:

Shipping Condition
All the settings except for basic settings return to the factory preset. The timer recording
programmes are also cancelled.

Default Settings

All the settings other than the tuning settings, clock settings, disc language settings, Parental
Control settings, rating PIN, remote control code, network settings etc. return to the factory presets.

EDIT - I have since read a confirmation that the first method in this post SHOULD reset the parental control pin to 0000

Last edited:
Thanks, I will try this one the next opportunity I get, in about a fortnight. With regard to your edit and reference to the first(and simpler method) with no REC button on the unit, this cannot be conceivably be followed but I will try the return to default settings method.
Many thanks for your time and effort, it is much appreciated
andy

Just to clarify - by first method 'in this post', I was referring to the first method in post 4 - not post 2. (which is first in the thread)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom