"Disabled" people on benefits really disabled?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Foebane72, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Did anyone see last night's BBC Panorama and C4's Dispatches programmes about disabled people on benefits and getting them back into work?

I thought it was very thought-provoking, and typical of how the government once again cocked up the procedure by which claimants are assessed, like the people declared fit for work, one of whom had a debilitating heart condition and DIED soon after. How can they possibly mess that up? Oh, it's all about meeting targets once again, how typical.

It IS true that some claimants claim to be disabled but are absolutely fit, like the guy who claimed he needed a walking stick to get about and yet was CCTV'ed prancing in the street and beating up passers-by and police indiscriminately, or the "disabled" moron who was caught out running in a MARATHON of all things - people like those give the genuine claimants a bad name.

As a result of all these fraudulent cases, hostility to disabled people has increased:
    BBC News - Benefit cheats 'colour attitudes to disabled people'

I myself am on one of these disabled benefits, but only because I was taking medication before, during and after my last job ended and I was actually going to go back on Jobseeker's Allowance (what I was on before the job) but they put me on Income Support instead - this was in early 2005, probably during the time of the government putting everyone on medication on IS.

I think at some point in the next 18 months I too will be reassessed, so I will be curious to see what happens from there. But less than a year or so ago (2010) I got a reassessment pack in the post which asked me to clarify why I was on IS so I could be reassessed, so I filled it in, sent it back and then they replied and said (as late as 2010 I might add) that things would stay the same.

What is wrong with me? I have paranoia and anxiety, meaning I'm on Sulpiride medication, as well as Omeprazole for a hiatal hernia, and my knee joints are very still, to the point where I can't go down on them and get back up easily. Working on my knees is a bit painful, frankly. I also have a beer belly and my memory seems to be poor in recent years, and my observational skills leave a lot to be desired, but everything else is more or less OK with me: senses, motor skills, etc.

So what is your opinion of getting disabled people back into work, and if they're really disabled or not?

2. LeeDicko

LeeDicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Sorry to hear about your problems, I hope it all works out for you.

However, I am unsure why you added "I also have a beer belly" in your list of what is wrong with you?

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,010
    I do feel for the government (any colour government) that tries to address the abuse of benefits, tax rules etc.

They need to be able to apply common sense, just as we would do when looking at a case and making a judgement.

Instead, they have to come up with a single set of rules set in concrete so that they are 'fair' and 'transparent'.

The problem is that it is very difficult to come up with a hard set of rules that works for all, go one way and you will let too scroungers through, go the other and you will hit too many innocents.

It does annoy me that when they come up with rules that are going to work in vast majority cases which then get chucked out by the Lords because someone comes up with an intricate scenario where a tiny minority might be wrongly hit.

What I would like to see is a tough set of rules that is easy and cheap to apply, and then an assessment for the genuine cases under appeal. Someone with a debilitating heart condition would have no need to concern over the appeal, but the guy running marathons with his fake back injury wouldn't dare turn up.

Cheers,

Nigel

4. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    It's what caused the hiatal hernia in the first place.

5. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    With respect, I would say if the OP had been reassessed by one of the teams shown on last night's BBC Panorama and C4's Dispatches programmes he would be recommended to start working and the disability benefit would be withdrawn - which goes to show the assessment must be different in different parts of the UK.

6. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    I suffer with anxiety, have had a bad back for years, almost broke it at 15 years old and never been right since, always gives me pain and need time off here and there with it, my knees are also painful but i put that down to my weight and my belly, not huge and i dont drink but am overweight.

Despite all my issues i would never dream of claiming to be disabled, i know there are jobs i cant do because of the physical aspect but ive always worked with what i actually can do in life, im on my feet 10 hours of the day and alot of days its painful but im just happy i actually can do these things and not in a wheelchair or similar.

Far too many these days claim to be disabled, unless one is totally incapable of things then there is work that can be done to suit, i just think alot of these claimants are just workshy.

7. LeeDicko

LeeDicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Ahh sorry, I was not aware of the condition.

There were two documentaries on last night, I watched one of them. Can't remember which it was but it was clear from ATOS that there is a certain number they let through to the support group and pressure is put on those people doing the assessment tests to not go above these numbers. I agree that there are people that just say they have a bad back or something to get on benefits, but the current system is too harsh on those who are disabled.

It's a tough one to balance though...

8. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    It was also pointed out that of those who appealed if their disability benefit was withdrawn, 90% won the case and had it reinstated. With the appeal process costing a further £50 million in admin costs.

9. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    I do agree they are harsh on the genuine disabled some of the time, it must be a very difficult job to do to weed out the false claimants, I certainly wouldn't want to do it.

Foebane, I feel your pain matey, a hernia is not a nice thing.

10. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,863
    We also have the problem that successive governments had no problem with disability being used to keep unemployment figures down and now we have the risk of genuinely disabled people suffering as the false ones are filtererd out which still needs to be done.
    Emporer - I agree, it is easy from the outside to criticise the people on the ground who have to sort this out.

11. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    that made me wonder .....

12. Deadringers

Deadringers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,800
    no what caused the beer belly which then caused the hernia was you drinking far too much cider, eating crap, not exercising and drinking lots of sugary coke.

That is why you had the hernia because of the beer belly :smashin:

13. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    My sister being one of them, 75% kidney failure and she has been refused DLA, even though she is living in terrible pain and had a letter from the DWP stating they know she has a serious disability :suicide:

14. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    I think you should stop posting crap .from this morning..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/17381219-post31.html

and go get a job :)

15. fencer90

fencer90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I am pronounced fit for work by ATOS

4 Heart Attacks
    2 TIA's
    1 Stroke affecting visual cortex I have lost 10% vision in both eyes
    1 Quad Bypass
    1 Repair of gross surgery site hernia
    1 Gunshot wound, coma for 13 days 1 rib smashed, 1/2 dia hole in liver and right kidney, 0.5 metres of small bowel destroyed .

Don't think a Hiatus Hernia is going to cut it .............ATOS Onanists

16. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Granted, but this has been true since at least 2003, so tell me something new. Also, the job I had for the whole of 2004 was in an office, so not much chance of exercise there. I did a fair bit of walking, though. And I started drinking regularly in 2002, so sue me. :p

17. Deadringers

Deadringers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,800
    **** me you are one hard bastard! :smashin:

18. Deadringers

Deadringers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,800
    Don't want to sue you or anything mate just annoys me to see people feel sorry for themselves when it is their own fault they have something wrong with them.

19. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    It's always been the same.People that can hardly walk or move,are always being tested.Then you have the other lot that like a drink or are a skag head living on it all their lives.

The depression one is the biggest scam though.Depression is a serious mental illness.Just saying you feel low,and then sit about allday playing playstation/drinking/smoking pot,doesn't mean you're depressed.

Sign them off and make them work.

20. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
  21. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    It's just an expression, DR.

22. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    Is it safe to drink as much alcohol as you do on the medication you are on? 2am this morning according to your post you were out of your skull .

23. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    Disabled benefit must be paying well ;) Wish i could afford to drink like that :D

24. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Signs, I drink moderately, but even a small amount of alcohol would lead to too much swearing and banning from a political and religious debate.

SBT, I don't drink every single day. I even had to give it up for a while as my funds were so low.

25. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    That's not what you said in the small hours of this morning .

26. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Yes, sometimes I get carried away, as I'm sure others do. But then we pay for it the next morning with hangovers.

27. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    Must have been awful for you :rolleyes:

28. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Funnily enough, if I'm watching a movie or TV show for the first time, I don't like to drink at all as I will lose full cognitive ability to understand the plot, especially those convoluted ones in Chris Nolan movies.

Or playing computer games, I don't like to do that either if I've consumed alcohol, I would lose my temper too easily if I lost. Funnily enough, PC Zone had an article on this phenomenon, but I wish I'd read it fully. Imagine everyone on your Counter-Strike server playing when drunk. Terrorists, watch out! :D

It's easier to drink and watch a movie if I've seen it before. Take Inception, for example, I was able to follow it more easily when I saw it the other night, but then I stopped half-way through for a little nap, then lost track of what was going on almost immediately.

So I will abstain absolutely half the time, but drink if I'm watching old movies I've seen before.

29. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    Hey i like a drink as much as the next man,but it sounds like you've been drinking nearly everyday for 10 years?

If so you have a problem and need help.

30. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Agree completely.