Disable cadence detection on VP50 coming....?

-Hitman-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just read the following from Josh over at AVS in the pro section with regards to turning off cadence detection on the VP50...

Josh@dvdo said:
Progressive Cadence Detection is turned on on the VP50PRO, as it is on the VP50. After the initial shipment of the VP50PRO we are going to look at adding the ability to turn off Progressive Cadence Detection on both the VP50 and the VP50PRO.

Thought i would post here as i know a few of us VP50 owners are waiting for this feature, good news.:)

Ah well spotted sir.

I did ask about that in the vp50 thread but it seems to have fallen out of favour since the Pro one started up.

1080p out of my xbox Elite is looking mighty fine but sadly far too laggy. Pretty much ditto 480p on the Wii. This option cannot come soon enough.

Definately looking forward to seeing this feature in VP50 architecture, could well improve my Wii scores. ;)

StooMonster

Definately looking forward to seeing this feature in VP50 architecture, could well improve my Wii scores. ;)

StooMonster

I take it you also won't be upgrading to the pro?

I would have thought you may have gone for the NDA beta, maybe not.

I take it you also won't be upgrading to the pro?

I would have thought you may have gone for the NDA beta, maybe not.

I think he may have one... or maybe not... still under NDA I bet... :eek:

Can you please explain exactly what function / process is occuring with progressive cadence detection turned on; what are the benefits?

Can you please explain exactly what function / process is occuring with progressive cadence detection turned on; what are the benefits?

If you had 1080p60 input and wanted to output 1080p24 then it would be useful. However if you wanted to play a console game which came in as 1080p60 and went out at 1080p60 it would still do the extra processing involved in progressive cadence detection but give no benefits and add a delay which could affect your reactions in fast paced games.

Cadence detection is where it detects the type of input signal to determine whether it is film or video and then uses the correct algorithms or pull down to process the input to give the correct de-interlacing - improved picture.

With gaming, this slows down the needed speed required (for online) as it is processing this input too as the VP just sees it as another signal.

Playing on-line (xbox live) is impossible to play correctly as you are a quite a few frames behind everybody else and end up loosing all the time.

We need to disable this Cadence detection/processing for gaming, so we will can run at the same speed/time as everyone else is and processing is not really required for games anyway.

HTH.

Is Progressive Cadence Detection unique to VP50; do or will other competing scalers have this feature?
Does this work for 1080p from HD-DVD / Blu-Ray or is it for Broadcast TV sources?

Is Progressive Cadence Detection unique to VP50; do or will other competing scalers have this feature?
Does this work for 1080p from HD-DVD / Blu-Ray or is it only for Broadcast TV sources?

As far as I know, it's unique. And cool. (in the UK) It's pretty much only for HD-DVD and BluRay as all broadcast HD stuff is 1080i so far and I suspect it'll stay that way.

If ONLY it could be disabled :)

I thought original film sources were 24 frames/sec progressive and that HD-DVD / Blu-Ray are mastered progressively anyway, so what's the point of using Progressive Cadence Detection (prep)?

I thought original film sources were 24 frames/sec progressive and that HD-DVD / Blu-Ray are mastered progressively anyway, so what's the point of using Progressive Cadence Detection (prep)?

Most HD players only ouput 1080P60, only until recently new players and some firmware updates for old players gave the ability to output 24p.

Prep also has other uses other than with HD players, EG 576P/480P from standard DVD players, only a handful of DVD players can do a raw interlaced signal output (576i/480i), especially via a digital connection like HDMI.

The Oppo 970HD is one (which i use) that can do raw via HDMI.

HTH.

PReP is for when you have a device which will only output a progscan signal for interlaced sources (as I think you realise) so you can sort of strip them back to their original interlaced format.

Progress cadence detection is different & is for doing 3:2 pulldown correction on progressive/60 sources like HD DVD players with no 24fps output.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom