1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirty Screen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kingfish, Dec 28, 2004.

1. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi guys,

after receiving the replacement set from powerhouse, it seems this set is suffering from the dirty screen issue. I've tried using a hairdryer to displace the colour which is does do and it spreads it around. I make the circles with the hairdryer bigger and bigger and slowly away from the screen and switch the hairdryer off and still the "stain" remains. I've tried degaussing the set the set from cold (i.e switching it on with the power button on a cold start) but yet the stain still remains.

It's very noticeable on pale backgrounds. Is there anything you guys can recommend? I don't really wanna have to take the set back because I've now got a picture i enjoy. In addition the contrast isn't too high. I realise it is probably caused by a magnetism problem but I can't seem to get rid of it.

Oh the set is a Sony Wega KV-32CS70

Cheers guys. :thumbsup:

2. BernieC

BernieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You and me both - I am otherwise very pleased with the KV32CS70 but have stains top left and bottom right. I have messed around with the settings and have not been able to get rid of it.

If anyone out there has any ideas I too would much appreciate it!

Cheers All.

3. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's annoying, I don't want to have to send this set back as well!

I've read the hair dryer method. With mine it seems to displace the colour but only while the hair dryer hovers over it. The dirty stain unfortunately remains when the hairdryer is removed.

Please people, help us?

Are there any other household items with AC motors that people can recommend?

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Assuming your 'homemade' method of degaussing the screen has 'worked', then if you are still left with screen purity errors then the only answer is that the purity magnets/deflection yoke need adjusting. This is not an adjustment that can be carried out by an unqualified member of the public. You MAY find that the errors may be improved by slightly re-positioning the set. I'm sorry, as I know this is not what you want to hear. Regards, yt.

5. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thinking longer term when you come to sell the set ... my guess is this kind of issue would make it unsellable to most people with functioning eyes. I would get it exchanged and, if necessary, just accept the pain of being without until the set is replaced. Just a view ...

6. BernieC

BernieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your posts guys. Think I am heading for the 'exchange' route. Hopefully will not experience the same on the next set but will advise if I do...

Thanks again.

7. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the advise guys, it's not a major major issue, it can only be see when you place pure white over the top. I don't think there's anything that should be causing a magnetic problem, I have Sky + and and Xbox that use HDs but I can't imagine that is the source tof the problem!

I wouldn't be out of a TV if I were to swap as Powerhouse do straight exchanges but still these things are heavy muthas! It was bad enough having to take the first one back!

8. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have John Lewis' delivery engineer coming to look at my KV32CS70 tomorrow - to witness this flickering problem first hand. Since nobody else here has ever reported such an issue either (a) My set is a one-off problem, or (b) Not enough people with sensitive eyes have noticed this issue ;-)

However, since people are noticing dirty screens and what not I'm inclined to say (a) is the more likely (I hope!)

It's still a really weird problem - Pioneer DVD player and Xbox are the worst culprits - I've played all manner of DVD through both, including the likes of Shrek 2 and The Lion King which are digitally perfect (so no film grain to affect the viewing) - and still there are sequences during those films where you can visibly seen these "fluttering bands" across the screen (think if somebody was sitting there twiddling with a brightness control non-stop).

I'll soon see how this one's gonna be resolved...

M;.

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

I bet other people have reported this problem to them. They are hardly likly to say" yes sir we are aware of this problem with all our sets, its due to poor quality controll and set up in the factory. Also because we want to maximize our profits thery are just thrown in to the back of the van for shipment with out a care in the world :devil: :laugh: "

Sorry :D

10. eXOBeX

eXOBeX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a similar "dirty screen" problem on the Panasonic PD30s, this can be fixed by altering the Sub-Geomagnetic control in the service menu.

Maybe there's a similar control on the Sony sets?

11. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That could be helpful. Does anyone know of anything that would relate to that in the service menu?

12. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, I tried a nice big magnet (off my guitar amp, not the biggest amp in the world mind) This shifted the impurities. However, when I start the TV from cold the impurities come back, so I'm assuming this must be do with the degaussing coil thing?

13. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Naughty boy ! - you should never place a permanent magnet near a crt, instead of erasing any residual magnetism you are more likely to induce a permanent magnetic field and more/larger purity errors. Luckily it sounds as though the degaussing coils have removed whatever you may have induced (if any) If the purity error still exists then almost certainly as I've suggested before the purity magnets/deflection yoke on the neck of the crt need adjusting. This is NOT something you can do unless you are qualified and equipped to do so. It needs to be carried out in situ and I doubt your supplier will be 'geared up/willing' to do that for you - more likely to offer you a swap. Powerhouse are too 'big' to be bothered with sorting out individual tv sets - they will swap it out and return it to the manufacturer - something to be said I suppose for a 'local corner shop' who might be more willing to sort your tv set in your front room. However, as you know you don't have that option - sorry. Regards, yt