1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirty Screen Syndrome - Can it be fixed

Discussion in 'TVs' started by derbyshireduck, Apr 13, 2004.

1. derbyshireduck

derbyshireduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have read with interest all the topics in this forum and have found the advice given very useful.

Can I ask a question of my own please which is, can the dirty screen syndrome experienced by a number of you, be fixed by a tv engineer, or will I just have to live with making a bad purchase?

I have a Toshiba 32zt29b tv which does produce a very good picture from the DVD output. However, when watching the cricket and any other programmes with a light background, I am getting what can only be described as a dirty screen.

I have the full warranty from toshiba for the tv and was hoping one of you may be able to advise me if it is worth getting an engineer out, and if so, what should he be looking to do in order to fix the problem.

Many thanks for any help you can offer

Regards
    Tony

2. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Unlikely a visiting engineer could do anything. A quality TV repair outfit or Toshiba could - but as faults go, its a hit and miss affair. No 32" TV is perfect either in geometry or purity but the worst offenders can probably be improved if someone is willing to spend the time. It could be improved/fixed by moving or adding magnets to the tube to fine tune the beam alignment (best done with stacks of high tech equipment). Probably best left alone unless its particularly annoying you.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,020
    First up - if your case is caused by magnetic misalignment of the electron beam (it usually is) then it CAN be fixed, by the application of one or more small permanent magnets to the yoke of the tube.

Catch 22, though: It's best done in situ in case the misalignment is caused by something local - e.g. the earth's magnetic field. But visiting engineers are often inadequately skilled to carry out this work.

4. derbyshireduck

derbyshireduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for the advice given.

You mention the problem may be able to be fixed by a Toshiba engineer rather than an ordinary TV engineer.

Can you tell me how I go about commissioning work directly from Toshiba ?

Many Thanks
    Tony

5. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ring customer services and ask. Sony for example has a repair centre near Heathrow where you can take your equipment. Panasonic on the other hand make you take it to a recommended 3rd party repairers who can "uplift" the TV to Panasonic if they can't fix it - not that they did in my case. Unfortunately I don't own a Tosh.

Because its under warranty you'll probably need to speak to your retailer first and find out their procedure. If Toshiba customer services offer an alternative you can choose. My personal experience, under warranty, is that everything except a blank screen is within manufacturer's specification.

If the problem is obvious you should be able to get it fixed one way or the other. If you are the only person who really notices the dirty screen effect then you may lose your TV for a few weeks for little or no improvement. You could also consider getting it replaced if you haven't had it too long.