1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Dirty Screen" on Tosh 32/36ZD26P

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by staffspeted, Dec 12, 2002.

1. staffspeted

staffspeted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have read with interest the posts about the so called "dirty screen" effect on new 32's and 36ZD26P models from Toshiba.
    I am experiencing this on my new 32 model .
    Does experience show tha this clears over time with natural de-gaussing/settling down or is it a fault requiring a replacement? Opinions much appreciated,thanks

2. Tony_Cook

Tony_Cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of returning my 36zd26p. The brightness uniformity across the screen is very poor, extra bright in the middle, darker on left, bottom and right.
    The dark bars that *some* mags talk about are blueish on the left and redish on the right and this isn't what I expected when buying an expensive telly from a "proper" brand.
    I'm just a newbie here and hope to find some help before splashing out again. At the moment I'm looking at Panny 36PB50 and Sony 36FS76.

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my case (36ZD26P) the darker patches either side were slightly noticeable when the set was new, but have now gone from the right hand side and are only visible under extreme test conditions on the left side... which can only lead me to conclude that they do diminish with time and usage.

The rest of the picture is faultless on my set, brightness is fine across the screen. Geometry was very slightly out from new but very minor tweaking in the service menu has corrected that.

It does seem as though Toshiba's QA is fairly poor though, as there seems to be more sets with issues than good ones.

4. staffspeted

staffspeted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I think we are to conclude then that if you've got a set you can live with ,keep it! Better the devil you know!?
    Cheers for the replies

5. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I reckon this is poor manufacturing. Not materials, but poor process and more likely environment. I have a dirty Panasonic TAU - which a few others have as well, take a look through the forum pages.

Someone else suggests the reason is that dust gets into the sets when made because not many screens are actully flat they are concave with flat glass in front. This coupled with bad process = dust and poor picture. There are many complaints on this site about Panasonic TX32 PL1 and PL10 sets.

I am currently trying to get the retailer to take the second set they gave me back.
    Cheers!

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was me trying to deduce what it might be. Important to remember that I have no idea whether it's true or not :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58705