Dirty Screen Effect (DSE) - Samsung MU8000 4K HDTV

Kaihsieh

Novice Member
Hello,

New to the forum. Had a question about my Samsung 65" MU8000 4K HDTV. I bought this TV almost 3 years ago. The picture has been beautiful and excellent for PS4 Pro. Earlier this year I noticed some "rib-like" horizontal waves on the screen when the picture is either very bright or blank white. See photo.

I researched and found that this is likely Dirty Screen Effect that is common for LED TVs of this size. Now that I notice it, it's hard to ignore it. For the most part, TV programs and video games look fine, but I can't help but wonder if the patterns has always been there, or only started after my move. Is this considered acceptable defect? Are there other LED TVs that don't have this effect?

KH

Attachments

• TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 159

next010

Distinguished Member
DSE is quite common on LCD TV's, it can vary in intensity so some can get lucky with one panel being better than another.

rtings maintains a chart of TV's which are the most free from DSE, as you can see OLED TV's dominate the top of that list.

groen

Isn't DSE different based on the TV rather than the model? ie you may get lucky and have better uniformity with one TV of the same model than you would another or is the uniformity consistent across the entire model?

Dodgexander

Isn't DSE different based on the TV rather than the model? ie you may get lucky and have better uniformity with one TV of the same model than you would another or is the uniformity consistent across the entire model?
Very much so, although by spending more money and investing in features that help reduce bad screen uniformity such as local dimming with LCD TVs can help your chances a lot.

Even so, you can sometimes get very unlucky and get poor uniformity on a very expensive TV, or get very lucky with a budget one and get decent uniformity.

MU8000 is an edge lit mid range model from 2017, it doesn't have a FALD system. In the picture the white uniformity looks about what you'd expect to me.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom