Dirt 5

I agree with everything you’ve said about the lighting and textures,I’m really enjoying the game.I’m sure they will add more to online play but I still like online races.What mode are in-resolution or image quality.I’ve settled on resolution but they both work nice.I know there’s some pop in at times but it don’t spoil the game.Cheshire studio are only a small group in codemasters and the first game on a new console is hard

not looking good for the Xbox series x version textures compared to the ps5 and took DF to notify the devs to hopefully look into it which i find a joke to be honest as they should of fixed this by now and caught day one.

Yeah just watching this. PS5 version looks noticeably better. DF seem to think it’s a bug but who knows? Surely the devs would have spotted this if that was the case? Hopefully they can sort it out.

Also, some interesting info from DF re why this game doesn’t look very good on YouTube due to how their compression works (check John Linnemanns twitter if it’s not included in this video (I’m only half way through the vid))

So much for our most powerful console ever made.After spending longer on Dirt 5 the pop in on a console this powerfull is embarrassin.Is PS5 easier to work with.

So much for our most powerful console ever made.After spending longer on Dirt 5 the pop in on a console this powerfull is embarrassin.Is PS5 easier to work with.

its basically lazy devs looking for the quickest way to market again

like the watchdogs save issue

Yes I was thinking that.They need to put a bit more effort in and make Series X shine.Instead they’ve cut corners a bit.The comments on YouTube from the console fanboys made me laugh.PS5 fanboys on there are loving it.Sooner we get exclusive XSX games the better.
I will get a PS 5 at some point though for Ratchet and Clank and GT7

Yes I was thinking that.They need to put a bit more effort in and make Series X shine.Instead they’ve cut corners a bit.The comments on YouTube from the console fanboys made me laugh.PS5 fanboys on there are loving it.Sooner we get exclusive XSX games the better.
I will get a PS 5 at some point though for Ratchet and Clank and GT7

wait till forza comes out x power will be fully utilised

wait till forza comes out x power will be fully utilised
Not really, it’s making a laughing stock Out of Microsoft console as they have been saying the Xbox is more powerfully and the game looks garbage on it because of lazy programming. Code masters should be ashamed of not spotting such a bad bug to be honest.

Not really, it’s making a laughing stock Out of Microsoft console as they have been saying the Xbox is more powerfully and the game looks garbage on it because of lazy programming. Code masters should be ashamed of not spotting such a bad bug to be honest.

what do you expect from a company that is/going to be activision

it’s no great surprise

Is there any weight to the argument I’ve seen about the Xbox GDK getting to developers late? Could this be a factor? And that’s why the full potential of the console has yet to be seen - as the developers haven’t had as much time? Hard to know what’s fact and what’s console war nonsense these days.

Interesting video here. He talks about ACV in relation to Xbox GDK issues, but I assume it also applies to other games/devs.

Is there any weight to the argument I’ve seen about the Xbox GDK getting to developers late? Could this be a factor? And that’s why the full potential of the console has yet to be seen - as the developers haven’t had as much time? Hard to know what’s fact and what’s console war nonsense these days.

There was a GDK leak reported on by the Verge and Thurrot (Microsoft news reporter) in the summer that said the near final GDK at a point where it could be released to devs was June. So late. And of course that was the aim Pre Covid....

However the issue is quite simple from what I’ve heard. For the next gen Xbox have built a new GDK from the ground up. This GDK is able to make Series X, Series S, Xbox One X, One S and PC games, plus xcloud versions. Are you scared yet? You should be! But yeah it’s completely new compared to the PS5 making games just for that and being an iteration of the PS4 kit. Plus the Xbox stuff was delayed further as they wanted the full RDNA2 integration. The consequence of such a large dev kit is catering for the performance across the targets and tuning their APIs. The APIs are the critical thing really and it takes time - look at DX11 -12on PC and how it could cut performance especially in early games.

If you go to a game on your Xbox and select file info it tells you whether the game was built on the new GDK or old XDK. Gears 5 surprisingly was done on the XDK and it seems they added in some of the new features into that dev kit to enhance gears 5. Now we know this was done a while ago since they showed a build off in March to Digital Foundry. Gears 5 has excellent performance because it’s running on the old XDK without the new issues the GDK has brought.

Its a question of Xbox tuning this GDK to a) get more performance out of the APIs and b) making it easier for devs to use. Which will happen over time.

It seems no one can get the Series X to really shine yet.MS thought they had a killer title in Halo until it got pulled apart after they showed.So much so it got delayed.I wouldnt be surprised if we never saw it now until 2022.
Could it be that even MS hasn’t got to grips with the console yet so that’s why nothing was shown off on the machine.We’ve not had a Forza for over 3 years not counting Horizon.Could it be even Turn 10 are struggling so started again.You would have thought 3 years and they’d have a new Forza to show off the Series X at latest say early next year say spring.In the game reveals we saw it said Forza was in early development so what have they done for 3 years.I’m not a fanboy but Xbox is 100% my main console but must admit can’t wait to get a PS5 after Christmas

It seems no one can get the Series X to really shine yet.MS thought they had a killer title in Halo until it got pulled apart after they showed.So much so it got delayed.I wouldnt be surprised if we never saw it now until 2022.
Could it be that even MS hasn’t got to grips with the console yet so that’s why nothing was shown off on the machine.We’ve not had a Forza for over 3 years not counting Horizon.Could it be even Turn 10 are struggling so started again.You would have thought 3 years and they’d have a new Forza to show off the Series X at latest say early next year say spring.In the game reveals we saw it said Forza was in early development so what have they done for 3 years.I’m not a fanboy but Xbox is 100% my main console but must admit can’t wait to get a PS5 after Christmas

A few minor performance and technical issues at the start of a gen aren’t a new thing. Likes of Forza aren’t linked to this, they are just building a new engine. Gears 5 is arguably the best looking and most technically advanced next gen game in many ways, it just isn’t new...but yeah marathon not a sprint and all that,

Apex legends looks great, rocket league looks dazzling and Forza Horizon looks amazing as well. Digital foundry are not saying the series x looks rubbish. Their Valhalla review only pointed out the the series x was dropping a couple of frames only from 60 FPS compared to the ps5 that you wouldn’t notice. They picked one door way and jaggedly it about to show screen tearing that you wouldn’t notice and is clearly a software bug but mostly the series x and ps5 looked the same. Not sure on dirt 5 with digital foundry and what they came up with it seemed like it might be loading in the series s texture pack but they said the coders were looking into it

I still love my Series X and still enjoy Dirt 5.Give it a year and things will even out.I’m sure Dirt 5 will get patched and optimised to match PS5 so there’s parity on both.

I’m actually just really enjoying the game. Playing in 120hz mode it’s mostly smooth as butter, and still looks stunning whilst playing. Played a level in Norway last night where it descends into a snowstorm with forked lightning throughout the final lap, needed to stop looking at all the effects so I’d stop crashing !!

Dirt 5 was written by the drive club developers. That was an ace game on the PS4 one of favourite all time racing games, I can see similarities between the drive club and dirt 5. Can’t believe Sony let them go so Codemasters snapped them up

Yea the PS5 tools are like the PS4 ones, So t stated they wanted to build a console and development environment to make it as easy and fast as possible to make games for the PS5.
According to rumours Microsoft got its dev kits out extremely late, and didn’t finalise it’s toolkit till June / July this year, and it’s changed it’s API’s so you kind of have one set of tools for Xbox One and Series S/X and PC, so it’s a lot for devs to learn in a short amount of time.
But no doubt the developers will learn the sticks and the tools improve, only the exact same will happen with the PS5, so it’s going to be an interesting battle to watch.

But basically I believe the excuse is launch games aren’t very good due to the limited timescale devs have had to build the games. Hopefully this patch coming out will bring the Series X up to the PS5 level, maybe even surpass it?

Yea the PS5 tools are like the PS4 ones, So t stated they wanted to build a console and development environment to make it as easy and fast as possible to make games for the PS5.
According to rumours Microsoft got its dev kits out extremely late, and didn’t finalise it’s toolkit till June / July this year, and it’s changed it’s API’s so you kind of have one set of tools for Xbox One and Series S/X and PC, so it’s a lot for devs to learn in a short amount of time.
But no doubt the developers will learn the sticks and the tools improve, only the exact same will happen with the PS5, so it’s going to be an interesting battle to watch.

But basically I believe the excuse is launch games aren’t very good due to the limited timescale devs have had to build the games. Hopefully this patch coming out will bring the Series X up to the PS5 level, maybe even surpass it?

Its an odd scenario where MS have always had a history of making console development easy for developers have made it hard and Sony who have a history of making it harder have made it easier.

That's the weird situation we've got. And on the OS side the reverse is true. MS have stuck with their heavily iterated OS and UI and it works and stuff like smart delivery is just making the experience great. Yet Sony went with completely new and its far more problematic and less refined.

Bottom line is MS need to get those tools and specifically their APIs better tuned and Sony need to iron out the wrinkles with their OS. But both are impacted by Covid and frankly in the circumstances the launch from both has been excellent to say the least.

£34.99 at smyths toys , might grab this at that price

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom