1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directional cable, going against the grain?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by targetrich, Sep 6, 2005.

1. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought and Naim NAP 175 amplifier to go with my Tag AV32R. I have just returned from my dealer with Chord interconnects, with phono plugs on one end (for the Tag) and 4 pin Din sockets on the other end (for the Naim). I notice that the interconnects are directional, from Din to phono. Which means that the direction is wrong for how they are being used.

I am told that after extended use they will adapt and be just the same, and as good, as the 'proper' direction cable. Is this true? What is the contemporory wisdom on this subject? Thanks :rolleyes:

2. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "Wisdom" and "directional cable" don't belong in the same place. So long as the fundamental connections are being made to the correct places, you'll have no problem. There has *never* been any proper evidence suggesting cables can be directional, nor that they can "break in" with extended use.

Think about it - the signal is entirely AC. If you take a cross-section at any point of the cable, it isn't even possible to tell which end is which by examining the electron flow.

3. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    troon,

i'm not going to argue about the benefits of directional cable, which is highly dubious, but your argument is invalid

an ac current flows in one direction and electrons flow in the opposite.

Alex

4. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The concept of a directional cable can make sense when used in the context of a shield which should only be grounded at one end. The whole thing is described and debunked here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122271&highlight=semi+balanced

WRT the original post, there's really no need to worry about it. The cable you have will be just fine in it's current orientation and nothing will need to "adapt" or "change" just because the arrow points in a different direction.

The other argument about AC signals is similarly clear cut and you're both right. The direction of power transfer down a cable goes from the more powerful end to the less powerful end. The point about it being AC is that any piece of copper, dielectric or anything else that makes up the cable will be polarised momentarily in one direction and then back in the other so nothing can become permanently aligned as may be the case with a constant DC signal. :)