Direct wire Clear Audio Problems and need help

JohnProton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive messed up my phono cable to my clear audio concept, im really annoyed about it i need help and not sure what to do, ive googled and the cable is about £150 and I dont have that kind of money at the moment, does anyone know of another way around it? i have the cable still but having a shakey hand ive messed up the phono that screws in when soldering so really all I need is that to replace it and maybe take it into a shop, I have the other cable thats ok but im not sure, i love my vinyl I was about to put a record on then all this happened :(

Ive even thought about just going to buy a thoren vintage 160 turntable if i have to pay out £150 for a cable and then shop fees to sort it out and I bet a vintage thorens is probably just as good as a clearaudio concept anyway im not sure really, its a bit messed up.

20170701_153219.jpg
20170701_153258.jpg
20170701_153926.jpg

Look for a small Tv repair/electronics shop in your area and take your turntable and ask them to solder on a phono plug.
A mobile phone repair shop may also have someone who can solder neatly.
Buy a phono plug from the likes of Maplins and take it with you...it doesn't need to be gold-plated.

Look for a small Tv repair/electronics shop in your area and take your turntable and ask them to solder on a phono plug.
A mobile phone repair shop may also have someone who can solder neatly.
Buy a phono plug from the likes of Maplins and take it with you...it doesn't need to be gold-plated.
yeaah that might be an idea :)

That plug should be salvageable, just needs the excess solder cleaned off unless you've broken anything?

Try changing the thread title to something like "Soldering Help in Rochdale Required" & maybe a local will volunteer, or at least recommend somewhere to take it. You'll ideally need them both done to keep the plugs parallel.

You can also buy solderless plugs like these but I've never used them

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That plug should be salvageable, just needs the excess solder cleaned off unless you've broken anything?

Try changing the thread title to something like "Soldering Help in Rochdale Required" & maybe a local will volunteer, or at least recommend somewhere to take it. You'll ideally need them both done to keep the plugs parallel.

Hi, thanks. i tried cleaning the solder off it, yeaah there is nothing wrong with it I just didnt really know how to do it, i tried but it was getting too hot, its not easy getting it off

actually reading the side of the plug it reads Rean on my clear audio I think thats the exact same one on that site, I think id be best off buying that and replacing it

You won't notice any difference in sound quality no matter the type/brand of phono plug so don't waste your money .

non-solder plugs? thats interesting. shows what i know lol I wonder how that works? I havnt broken anything but i think i burnt into the plastic part in the phono where the negative is. ive always been terrible at soldering, i shake like a nervous wreck, i was always the same with holding cameras and taking photos lol. Ive just phoned my mums boyfriend if hed help and his sons good at all this kind of thing, I think I'll start again anyway and get help from them, buy a new rca and gold solder wire and start over. next time be more careful, at least i didnt break the tonearm in half lol

There isn't such a thing as "Gold" solder.
your probably right but i did see some gold solder wire on ebay which is probably just a con. what i have here is cheap solder wire from the local diy shop, maybe thats all you need

Did somebody say Rochdale? A quick google search found this bunch:

Hi-fi & Audio Repairs

Don't know anything about them or if they are any good but they must be worth a shout.

If you can travel a bit further, Doug Brady in Warrington should be able to fix it. I do have experience of them and rate them highly.

In terms of soldering phono/RCA plugs it helps a lot if you have three arms, with one having asbestos fingers, or a small vice to hold the plug while you use your two arms to hold the iron and the solder.

Did somebody say Rochdale? A quick google search found this bunch:

Hi-fi & Audio Repairs

Don't know anything about them or if they are any good but they must be worth a shout.

If you can travel a bit further, Doug Brady in Warrington should be able to fix it. I do have experience of them and rate them highly.

In terms of soldering phono/RCA plugs it helps a lot if you have three arms, with one having asbestos fingers, or a small vice to hold the plug while you use your two arms to hold the iron and the solder.
someone i know highly recommended doug brady as well. ive never heard of that place in rochdale. i cant drive due to health, so i have to rely on public transport but i dont think warrington is too far. I saw a youtube video before and he was using a vice to so i thought about that, one other guy used a cheap amp to plug his rcas into so he didnt have to hold them so he had two arms to do it which i thought was a pretty good idea. One id never have thought of lol

As I said, a pair of pliers will do the job with an elastic band around the handles.

The solderless plugs I've seen use a screw terminal for the core & just crimp the braid.

Thanks, I managed it on my own, i had to use something to balance the wires so my nerves didnt shake and ordered a new phono to solder it, now my clearaudio is all working again and ive been playing lps all night:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom