Direct TV Record: Panasonic TX32LXD500 --> DRMEH60D

st13phil

Standard Member
Reaction score
Having now taken delivery of my TX32LXD500 and hooked it up to my DRMEH60D I find that the "Direct TV Record" function doesn't want to work.

I have AV1 on the DRMEH60D connected to AV4 on the TX32LXD500 via a fully-wired scart, and the DRMEH60D is set to RGB output. The TX32LXD500 has AV4 specified as the Q-Link connection in its setup menu. Everything works fine (great PQ, BTW) except the Direct TV Record. When I try to initiate it from the TV, nothing happens at all; if I try to initiate it from the DVD recorder I get an on-screen message on the TV telling me that either my TV isn't connected(!) or it doesn't support this function.

An obvious thing I need to try is swapping the scart lead - just in case it's u/s - but I was wondering if anyone can spot anything incorrect in my connection or setup? Can anyone else with this hardware confirm that the Direct TV Record function works OK for them and also what their setup is (cabling and device options)?

TIA, Phil

is EXT-LINK set on the dvd recorder. cos to enable the direct tv record that needs to be on as the freeview tuner from the guide sends a sort of video signal to the recorder,when you place something in the guide. to make the recorder aware that something is wanting to record.

hope thats helps

OK, sussed it by following my own "try the simple things first" route...

I also have a VCR connected via another scart lead to AV2 on the TV. What I didn't realise is that one of the (identical looking) scart leads is fully wired while the other isn't. By chance, I'd ended up with the one that isn't fully wired on DVD/TV connection duty :oops:

Have now swapped the scart leads so that the fully wired one sits twixt the DVD and TV and, presto! Direct TV Record now works. Case closed :thumbsup:

st13phil said:
OK, sussed it by following my own "try the simple things first" route...

I also have a VCR connected via another scart lead to AV2 on the TV. What I didn't realise is that one of the (identical looking) scart leads is fully wired while the other isn't. By chance, I'd ended up with the one that isn't fully wired on DVD/TV connection duty :oops:

Have now swapped the scart leads so that the fully wired one sits twixt the DVD and TV and, presto! Direct TV Record now works. Case closed :thumbsup:
Please could you tell me if it records in RGB when using DirectTV Record/Q-Link? I was originally going to get the Sony recorder but found that SMARTLINK (Sony's version of Q-Link) does not work if you set the recorder to output RGB which makes the feature useless.

If the Panasonic kit allows RGB with Q-Link then that is an advantage over the Sony.

If you use the EPG on the LXD500 to make a timer recording, does it automatically send the programme title to the DMREH60D so you do not have to manually change the title? Again this is something the Sony can do but I see no mention of it in the Panasonic manual.

Thanks

Puzzled as to why you would want to use the Direct TV tuner when the EH60D also has an internal Freeview tuner.

For MikeMcr - I have the ES20D (freeview and analogue integrated tuner same as EH60D. Using the freeview EPG to set a recording automatically inserts the programme title but you can change this if you want so I should imagine that the IDTV freeview tuner does the same.

ROYOLD said:
Puzzled as to why you would want to use the Direct TV tuner when the EH60D also has an internal Freeview tuner.

For MikeMcr - I have the ES20D (freeview and analogue integrated tuner same as EH60D. Using the freeview EPG to set a recording automatically inserts the programme title but you can change this if you want so I should imagine that the IDTV freeview tuner does the same.
Thanks. Direct TV Record is useful for quickly recording anything connected into the TV's external inputs, e.g. Sky using SCART pass-through.

Thanks for that info. Don't have Sky or ntl so not of much use to myself. Use external sources like vcr and fusion pvr to do direct recording to dvd but that's using scart connection.

Hey st13phil

Is direct TV record the function that allows you to record to the SD card?

If not have you tried that feature and is it any good?

Hi

Please could you tell me if it records in RGB when using DirectTV Record/Q-Link? I was originally going to get the Sony recorder but found that SMARTLINK (Sony's version of Q-Link) does not work if you set the recorder to output RGB which makes the feature useless.

The recording is composite, there are no free wires going in the opposite direction to support anything else.

Regards

Phil

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom