1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct sunlight on the back of plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by kace, May 25, 2004.

1. kace

kace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV is situated infront of patio doors. The back faces the windows and occasional direct sunlight. Will this in anyway damage the unit?

Opinions?

2. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could it contribute to overheating if you're watching TV on a hot, sunny day?

3. hammerman

hammerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot believe for 1 second that direct sunlight on any electrical item (other than a solar panel,lol) would be anything but bad news..........

4. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it depends what you mean by direct sunlight. My plasma is in the sitting room close to a large bay window. During the summer daylight streams in through the window and onto the TV. The only way I could avoid this is by closing the blinds during the day, which would look a bit odd. I'm not concerned about this level of daylight on my plasma screen and I suspect Kace needn't be either.

5. hammerman

hammerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure if you read the instructions........whatever screen you have........ it will tell you to avoid locating in direct sunlight.......... ;)

6. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the kind of thing manufacturers say to cover their backs. I don't think it's really going to cause a problem. Only some really obsessed nut would close their blinds everday to stop their precious TV being harmed by sunlight.

What about other elctrical goods? We'd have to keep the kitchen, bedrooms, study etc in the dark to protect all the electrical goods in there as well! :eek: