1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct replacemnt or all in one?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by shelfsider, Sep 11, 2005.

1. shelfsider

shelfsider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ive reached the conclusion that aliens have abducted my tv remote(or my nephews hidden it)
    Anyway,theres one on ebay but Im thinking that perhaps im better off going for an all in one.
    Im currenly using my denon amp remote to work everything(well the amp, tv and dvd) which is ok but there are certain tv functions it wont do(aspect ratio, ext selection, setup menus, pixel plus stuff etc)
    Whats the better option getting the direct replacement off ebay or shelling out for one to do everything(additional info, my stereo remote is also on its last legs, i keep dropping it!) Dont want to break the bank but would consider going up to £100!
    Oh i have a philipstv, a vcr that i rarely use. Dennon 550 home cinema package(separate amp&dvd) and a sony hi-fi and a total of 5(well now 4 i suppose :) ) remotes cluttering things up

2. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    A Harmony 655 will do everyting you need and costs ~£50.

Go to here and take a test drive. You can then convert your account if you purchase a remote.

3. shelfsider

shelfsider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ive been looking at the 655. Think I may get one.
    One question though, all im really bothered about in the end is getting the full functionality out of my tv. So if I do get it how likely am I to be unable to do the stuff I mentioned, bearing in mind I dont have the old one to teach it anything the db doesnt know?
    Replacing everything with one is a nice idea but Im not all that bothered if I still have to find a replacement philips.

4. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Obviously having the old remote to teach it commands the db does not have would be an advantage, however i have only found <5% of commands not in the db.

Do not forget that the db is constantly updated as more users learn commands from their original remotes.