Direct recording on Panasonic DMR-BWT850 / 800

ccarmock

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic DMR-BWT800 which has a SCART connection to my Sky+HD box so that I can copy (albeit in analogue) recordings to acrchive to BluRay. I do also have a DMR-BWT850 that does not have the SCART input.

I have tried using a Triax DVB-T modulator to modulate the output of the Sky box and then record the assocaited TV channel that Triax outputs.

Unfortunately neither Panasonic will record. When I use direct record set to continuous - ie until I manually stop it the red REC light comes on on the Panasonic unit, but the counter stays at 00:00:00 and no recording is made.

I wondered if anyone else had successfully recorded a locally modulated signal in this way ont he Panasonic recorders?

The output of the Triax modulator works fine for display on the Panasonic, which correctly identifies it as a 1080i source, or indeed 1080/24p if used with a blu ray player.

This is probably not circumventable.

The likely reason is that The BWT850 is detecting HDCP content (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
and it will not record under such circumstances.

I would expect it to record if the material content was not protected.

I tried similar with a Technomate HD DVB-T modulator, Panasonic BWT720 refused to record it regardless of its input, even with no HDMI input, just the modulator's setup page showing it would not record.

Interesting - I did also connect the modulator to the HDMI output of a CCTV NVR which I assume has no HDCP, it still wouldn't record. I wonder if the modulators are inserting DHCP flags regardless.

I'll ask on Regionfreedom, who have custome firmware to defect some aspects of the Panasonic

First response from the team at Region freedom is a lack of understanding of the modulators. I'll continue the dialogue. I wonder if anyone knows of a DVB-T interface for a PC that could be used to gain more information on whether any form of HDCP or 'do not record' flags are set?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom