1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct Line Insurance and changing your car

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Ian J, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My wife drives a little Fiat Cinquecento which is insured TPF&T through Direct Line. The policy was due for renewal last week and I was quoted an annual premium of £118 which I accepted.

I normally pay the premium in one sum but this time I said I would take the monthly payments as we are changing her car later this week to something more expensive, in a much higher insurance group and would be increasing the cover from TPF&T to Comprehensive.

I was interested to see what the new premium was likely to be so went to Direct Line's online site, input the details for the new car and cover and was quoted an annual premium of £180 which I thought was very good.

As we are collecting the car in a couple of days I telephoned Direct Line today to give them the change of car details and I was quoted an additional £180 on top of the £118 that I was paying for the current car and was told that the monthly premium would rise to £29

I queried this and the girl gave me some flannel about rates changing on a daily basis but the total figure of £308 was the correct one.

I went back to Direct Line's website and re-input the details and the annual premium came out at £190 in total so I accepted that, took out a brand new policy then telephoned Direct line to cancel my existing policy on Thursday thus saving myself £108.

They admitted that it is cheaper to buy new policies online than to upgrade over the telephone and I assume that they rely on people just telephoning without checking that the new premium is competitive.

It would seem that Direct Line isn't quite as direct as it once was but I wonder if they got up to tricks like this before they were acquired by Royal Bank of Scotland.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,750
    That's shocking ! I'm with Tesco and they sent me a refund when I changed cars a couple of months ago.

3. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the last two years I have managed to get a discount on the renewal with my company by quoting their online price and threatening to renew on line.

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I had a similar experience.

Got a quote from my existing broker for a new car i was getting and they quoted £1100. Did a search on the web and found a site that allowed you to put in basic driver and vehicle details in and it then searched for the best deal.

The company my existing broker was suggesting came out tops! - and with a price about half what I was being quoted by the broker.

So I checked up on their direct website and the price, after inputting all the niggly details wasn't much different from the guide price from the first online service.

it certainly pays to shop around.

Chris

5. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Me and my partner are both with Direct Line.
    Two years ago after we had been going out for a while we decided to add each other to our own motor policies as named drivers.
    Well, I added her to my policy and my insurance went up by about £30 quid not bad for an additional driver I suppose.
    She added me to her policy and her insurance went down by about £15. :lease:

Does that mean that you could go around adding the local vicar to your policy as a named driver and your insurance will go down? :rolleyes:

-Neil

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    Believe it or not, that does make sense Neil.

It seems that you are classed as a safer driver than your partner.

So when she is added to your policy, the overall risk goes up. The premium has gone up to reflect the greater chance of an accident when she drives your car.

When you are added to her policy, the overall risk goes down. This is to reflect the reduced chance of an accident when you drive her car.

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I really appreciate this post as i'm not only with Direct Line, but am looking to do exactly this within the next few weeks!

I'd already obtained quotations from Direct Line's website in anticipation of the purchase to give me an idea of how much more the new car will cost each month.

Presumably by cancelling my current policy (which isn't up for renewal for another 4 months or so), i'll lose any NCB accured since the renewal date last year? :( Is there any way they'd budge on the "upgrade" price do you think? I'd rather not lose the last 8 months of no claims but if your poicy rose that significantly I dread to think what mine will do :(

K.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A couple of years ago I was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Norwich Union also reduced their quote when I added my wife to the policy even though she had only passed her driving test within the previous 12 months and I had been accident and claim free for many years.

9. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    Women are seen as safer drivers.

And it may be that rather than look at your driving record with the assumption you are a safe driver, they may have just taken the view that you were well overdue an accident.... :rolleyes:

10. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    use Autotrader's insurance finder, Direct Line (which incidently underwrites Tesco Insurance) is now pretty expensive compared to other companies.

My group 20 Merc, TPFT is £36 a month, same car via Norwich Union is only £29 (Indian Call centre though!).

A subaru Legacy I was looking at was £240 TPFT via Direct Line, Screen Trade quoted £183.

Even though I've used Direct Line for the last 5 years, I'm going to move companies shortly.

Oh, and despite being a legendery tyre smoker, so far I have no points and full no claims (touch wood).

11. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Was with Direct line myself for a couple of years until my car got stolen. Found the car 4hrs later and they took it to check that nothing was amiss, got it back 16 weeks later running like a bag of spanners. Never again.

12. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Just to add my own experience of Direct Line - I've been with them now for 8 years. In that time, I've never been able to find a cheaper quote for any of the 4 cars i have owned in that time despite making a huge raft of phone calls and internet searches each year, and they have been absolutely brilliant on the 2 occasions i have needed them - once was my fault, once wasn't.

I have no connection with the company blah blah etc..................

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My own car is with Norwich Union and my wife's car which is insured in my name is with Direct Line. I checked each against the other at renewal time and found that Norwich Union was cheaper for my larger car whilst Direct Line remained cheaper for my smaller car.

14. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a lottery... simple as that

15. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What some companies are doing at the moment is this.....

As long as you haven't had an accident in the past 5 years (I think it is), you can transfer your no claims to your second car if you insure your first car with them. For example, I've got 8 years no claims and no accidents (Touch wood) and I insured it with Admiral. I also insured the wifes car under my name and was able to use the 8 years no claims on my car on the insurance policy for my wifes car. She is a named driver on both policies.

Bargain !

Richie.

16. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    RBS has always been involved in Direct Line as they funded Peter Wood when he set up the company.

Admittidaly their involvement and interest in Direct Line (and RBS Insurance as the company is known since the acquisition of Churchill Group) has naturally increased as the size and profits/costs have increased but the strategic direction, day to day management and policies remain within the RBS Insurance's control - if money is required from the Bank for a new venture then plans need to be signed off by them but then if any company that wants to borrow money from a bank have to have a business case for sign off.

17. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    You can amend the car details on your current policy online & get an upgrade quote without committing to it.

18. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I thought you could do this too but i'll be damned if I can figure out how :rolleyes:

I can log into my account ok (where it retrieves all my details for new quotations), but can't ammend/upgrade my existing policy. I can only access the poliy documents :confused:

K.

19. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    D'oh - scrap that! Just found an old password in my policy information :suicide:

I seem to have two accounts with Direct Line - one for my current/new quotations and one for my existing policy!

Thanks anyway...

Kelvin.

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    confused.com or .co.uk whichever it is is quite good for insurance quotes IMO.

21. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Quick question for you all,

I used to be with Direct Line and found them to be by far the cheapest around but when my girlfriend and I (now my wife) bought a car together they would only insure the owner as the main driver. As the loan was in her name I thought it only fair to have the car registered in her name. We both have no cliams bonuses we are keen to keep running so every year we swap who the main driver will be. The problem is very few companies seem to allow me to be the main driver as I dont own the car...

Will this change now that we're married ??, I know that insurance is meant to go down (or used to) when you got married but will I find it easier to get insured as the main driver now were legally tied so to speak ??

22. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,163
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Had a direct line home insurance renewal through recently and lo and behold, the direct line online quote was significantly cheaper.

I've been rather complacent over recent years regards insurance, however, this is now going to change...

23. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    As the Spouse you can be the main driver of the vehicle.

With Direct Line it will not go down now that you are married as they give the same discount to people that are "co-habitting/common law" but this is unusual and most other non-RBS Insurance insurers only give the discount when you have tied the knot

24. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    My missus has been driving since May '01 and me since June '04. Obviously insurance is very expensive, at the moment, so could I get my missus insured next time as the main driver, but then would I still be able to accrue my NCD? This August all being well I will still only have 1 year compared to my missus at 4 years.

25. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    Best way to rack up the no claims used to be to buy a scrap moped/scooter with a registration document from the local paper & insure it 3rd party only, on limited mileage. No idea if that's still feasable but may be worth looking into.

Now your missus has accrued 4 years it's well worth paying a bit extra to protect it in the event of a claim.

26. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As far as im aware (its worked for us so far) as long as you re insure within 2 years (or somtheing like that) your no claims discount stays active, hence why one year im the main drive then the following year its my wife.

27. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    With NCD only the "policyholder" can bring their existing NCD to the policy and the policyholder takes the NCD with them when the policy ends so if you are only a named driver you would get the benefit of the other halfs NCD but she would be the one that accrues the NCD not you.

It is also worth noting that you can only use 1 NCD on 1 policy so if she has multiple vehicles she could only use the NCD on all of them if she had a single policy covering all the cars - 2 vehicles can be put on a single domestic policy, 3 or more then Direct Line do a 'fleet' policy (but I do not know how NCD works with these).

There is the posibility of insuring a trash vehicle on Third Party Only (which is cheaper than TPFT) but you need to remember that very low mileage actual increases the premium BUT if you claim to do 8,000 miles a year in the vehicle when it is never used at all then you are commiting fraud and if found out would be loaded to the fraud register which all insurers and banks check against for loans, mortgages, insurance policies etc.

28. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    What do you mean?

That even though you aren't the main driver for one year, you claim a years NCD in that year?

29. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    After 2 years of not having insurance, your NCD will lapse. That is to say, you will lose it.

So if one year you insure the car, and the next year your wife insures the car, you both maintain an active NCD.

30. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    Using a 3 year old Corsa as an example, Direct line charge the same premium for 1,000 miles pa as they do for 10,000. The lowest premium is charged for 2,000 miles pa but is only about £15 cheaper. They certainly do NOT charge MORE for lower mileage.

The mileage figures are UP TO. You do not certify to cover any given mileage, just that you will not exceed the maximum. No fraud has taken place therefore you cannot be placed on any fraud register. The very worst sin being committed is the failure to keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition. The greatest punishment for this is would be for the insurer to void the policy. Having said that, this would only come to light in the event of a claim which would never be made.