1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct connection or through av receiver

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bikes_monkey, Aug 22, 2005.

1. bikes_monkey

bikes_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Should i connect my DVD/SKY video out direct to my 2 rgb scarts or through my amp? What benefits are there of direct connections and via amp?

Cheers

bikes_monkey

2. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well a direct connection will look better. But going through the Receiver will provide On Screen Display - if your receiver has this, many do not, and it may simplify switching as you may need to only switch the reciever, not the TV as well. Really depends on your setup. Do remember that Receivers, will not change the format of your picture so Composite, SVideo, Component and RGB will all remain separate. and you may still need to switch source if your DVD,STB do not output the same. In fact if you are trying to use the best quality output, its almost inevitable that they will not. If you gothe direct connection route, you can always use a more spohisticated remote to switch your TV/display and Receiever at the same time. Some Receivers come with such remotes.

Cheers

Rajiv

Cheers

Rajiv

3. bikes_monkey

bikes_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Rajiv

Probably go scart rgb straight to tv as it doesn't have a component in, also do the same with sky+

My receiver is a denon 1905 which is probably higher spec than the tv and can't benefit from component.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The more links in the chain, the more chance of signal degradation so a direct connection is always best where possible.