1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" to be released as 20th Anniversary SACD On May 9th

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by bizzibee, Apr 14, 2005.

1. bizzibee

bizzibee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought someone would have already posted about this but it seems not.

Anyway....Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" to be released as 20th Anniversary SACD On May 9th 2005!

See:

http://www.mark-knopfler.co.uk/ragpickers_dream/news/new_news.php

It's also made news over on the High Fidelity Review Web Site

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=15140897

I'll have to import mine from the U.K. (I'm in Australia) as it only a SACD European Release. I guess the guys in the US will have to do the same. It is likely to be a DVD-A/CD (DoubleDisk) or DualDisc release in North America as Warner owns the North America rights.

For those that want the links to order a copy here they are.

Brothers in Arms [SACD] :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...3438754-8577230

Brothers in Arms [SACD] [LIMITED EDITION] :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...3438754-8577230

2. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  3. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Great stuff,cheers.
    Ian

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Play have upped the price to £11.99 already (!) but CD-Wow have it on pre-order for £9.99 (minus handy vouchers if you have any!)
    Paul ;)

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Might get a copy of that - have fond memories of the initial CD and I'm sure that Knopfler will insist that the SACD is top quality. It will be worth the £12 for 'Brothers in Arms' alone.

6. bizzibee

bizzibee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

It will save me some money with their lower price and their "Free Delivery Worldwide"

7. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    CD Wow have just e-mailed to state this has been delayed to 23/5/05 :(

8. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I'm not sure that I see the point - AFAIK the original album was recorded as 16bit PCM stereo, 44.1kHz. Simply shoving it onto SACD isn't going to change that. Maybe the surround remix will be worth it as a bonus.

Gav

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes, but the technology for mastering that original recording to disc has improved drastically since then.

If you need convincing, listen to the digital remaster from a few years ago. It blows the original release of the CD clean out of the water. Even better the HDCD encoded versions of the tracks from this album on the "Sultans of Swing" best of collection improve further on the quality of the same tracks on the "Brothers in Arms" remaster.

Looking forward to hearing what DSD mastering does for it on both SACD and conventional CD layers.

10. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My order with Amazon still says 12th May but their main page says 23rd. No e-mail from them though.

Ray

11. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    They have gone back to the original analogue masters, remixed it in the analogue domain for 5.1 surround and then encoded it digitally for SACD at 24bit 96kHz. Hence will be far superior to the CD version.

12. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Are you sure that there were analogue masters? The CD that I have (bought back in 1986) states DDD - digital recording, mixing and mastering.

That said, I've done a bit of checking on the topic and apparently early issues of the album featured relatively poor sound quality with later CD remasters sounding much better so it looks like a good remastering job really can make a difference. I don't think that the SACD will sound any better than the CD though - both formats would benefit from the remaster.

Gav

13. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I beg to differ. But then again I'd rather not get into the whole stereo/surround sound debate again :rolleyes:

14. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/n...number=15140897

News About the 5.1 Surround Sound SACD Mix
    There's also been some discussion about the Brother In Arms 5.1 Surround Sound mix over on the Hi Rez Highway Internet Forum. On that forum, Telarc Chief Engineer Michael Bishop says veteran producer and surround sound mixer and engineer Chuck Ainlay spent 3 months mixing Brothers In Arms into Surround Sound.

Interestingly, the mix was done in the "analog domain" and Ainlay was said to be "thrilled" with the final results. It sounds like this will be a very nice SACD to add to any rock fan's collection.

15. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Yeah - I'd love to hear the surround version. I still don't think that the SACD stereo will be any better than the standard CD layer though. If the sources were 16 bit PCM (as the DDD label of my 1985 issue CD would tend to imply) then that's going to place absolute limits on the fidelity of the end result.

Interesting to see how analogue mixing seems to be having a resurgance for SACD titles. I also notice that on another SACD I have with original digital recording, Steve Earle: Guitar Town, it went through an analogue process when being remastered for SACD: "JVC 900 to analog to DSD" according to the notes at the back of the booklet.

Gavan

16. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ray

I ordered mine from Amazon, I queried the release date yesterday with Amazon and they confirmed it was 23 May not the earlier date, my original date quoted was 10 May !! Cant wait for this...will take me back years!!! ;)

Shane

17. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    How would I know which copy I have. It was one of my first CD's and was made in West Germany, the disc is very thick with the outline of the guitar in a bluey/greeny outline on silver. It must have been 85 or 86, and what has always struck me about it is how overly bright the sound is. I tried it last night for the first time in ages and it is very very toppy.

18. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I think it was the earliest ones that weren't very well mastered: Try a google groups search on "Brothers in Arms" and "remaster" or "SACD" - throws up some interesting stuff.

Certainly my own 1985 CD sounds quite lacking in bass, although very clear.

I've gone from being indifferent about the SACD release to actually being quite enthusiastic now - can't wait to hear it!

Gav

19. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The digital re-masters of all the Dire Straits CDs are very clearly marked. The disc itself seems to still have the same design you describe, namely the centre part of the guitar and strings in blue on a silver background.

However the jewel case of the CD is all see-thru plastic including the tray part that the CD rests on, whereas the old one was dark grey/black. So when you take the CD out of it's tray you can see a picture insert under the see thru-tray of all the Dire Straits albums arrranged in a circle on a back background. Also to the far left running vertically down the edge of the tray insert are the words "Dire Straits Re-Mastered".

Indeed when the CD case is closed and looking at it front-on, you can see these words through the spine/hinged edge of the case. As I say this is common to all the re-masters.

The first page of the booklet also has a short essay entitled "An Appreciation", as do alll of the re-issues in this series.

Not much point in buying this anyway if the SACD is around the corner. Even if you don't own an SACD capable player, the CD layer on the disk should still be superb sounding as this too is greatly improved by the DSD mastering process used in the preparation of the SACD.

Before I had an SACD capable player I had quite a collection of SACD discs and the CD layer sounded incredible compared to the original CD issues of these titles, so much so that when played on a good quality CD player the CD layer gives the SACD layer more than a run for its money. So even if the SACD format disappears you are still left with a superb sounding, re-mastered layer that will play on an ordinary CD deck.

One of the big advantages of SACD over DVD-A, which of course is not CD capable.

20. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Oh crap, all my first 6, upto and inc BIA, are all original non-remastered CD's with the black tray inserts. That's why my personal fave Makin Movies sounds so inferior (yes really sh*te) compared to my original vinyl copy I guess. (Communique has only got a fold over insert, no booklet, which I found out years ago only happened on the original first batch let through)

I just hope they do SACD versions of MM and LOG (If only for Telegraph Road)

I've just pre-ordered BIA. I can't wait to see what they'll do with the end of Why Worry.

21. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hey - just got an e-mail from Amazon saying it has been despatched :thumbsup: Should get it Monday/Tuesday .

Shame I'm still waiting for the Sammy 950 as I haven't got an SACD player yet :rolleyes:

Ray

22. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have just listened to this CD and one question you have to ask yourself is...do I get on with my neighbours?....why......because you wont after playing this :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: Before I knew it, it was back to 1985 and the air guitar was being played ;) with the volume being pushed up up and up, cant recommend this enough.

Shane

23. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Cd-Wow have confirmed they've posted today :( ,a little later than Amazon,but here it comes :)

24. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Asked about this in HMV today, got a puzzled "SAC what?" as a reply, no wonder there's a lack of public awareness about the new formats. :rolleyes:

25. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    So what's the surround mix like Shane ?

Ray

26. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ray

Not being a 'Techy' on the subject just someone who enjoys the music, I can only say that this is pure pleasure. I had the original copy of this on an old cd and the difference, obviously some might say, is quite unbelievable, every track sounds outstanding. For me personally it only took a few notes of track 1 to know that is a 'cut' of an album that should be in everyones cd collection. Its second playing in one evening just proved the fact :thumbsup:

Shane

27. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Words fail me :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

28. Kaotician

Kaotician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It's a great release. For those contemplating it, I received my copy on Monday being the Limited Edition version. There's no difference between it and the standard version except that it comes in a digi-pack.

It sounds absolutely gorgeous :)

29. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
  30. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not particularly into DS/knopfler, but given the universal praise its received, i've ordered the SACD to see what all the fuss is about.....