Dirac sofa mic positioning

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dyson2004, Jul 15, 2018.

1. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    When using Dirac with my Arcam AVR850, I choose the sofa pictures to set my mic positions when measuring. The thing is, I'm not sure whether to follow the mic positions as recommended, as my sofa is higher than the one shown. I am not sure if the first mic setting should be exactly at ear height or as shown in the Top, Front and Oblique pictures. According to the Top View, the mic positions should be at the back where I sit and also a third of the way in from the front. In the oblique view, all the mics are placed near the back of the sofa. I don't think the diagrams are clear and does anyone have any recommendations please?

2. scoc

scoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Make sure the mic in mlp sits ABOVE the height of the sofa. So if ear height is below total height of sofa do not measure at eir height but a bit above sofa height. Measuring below sofa height is not recommended due to additional reflections.

3. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thank you. First measurement I measured below the top of the seat back as my ears are lower. I will have to redo the measuring now. Also, my chairs recline so I am not sure whether to measure the nine points at seating position (like eating dinner with a tray on my lap) or laying back watching films. Are you saying that the UMIK-1 mic should always be where the tip is always able to see all speakers directly? Thanks.

4. scoc

scoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    With Dirac, like Lyngdorf Roomperfect, you do not need to measure at your listening points except for the 1st main listening position. You measure at random locations in the room.

5. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Could you explain a bit more about this please? I was told (and the Arcam Dirac instructions say) to measure around my sofa. Thanks.

6. scoc

scoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I have not used Dirac but I assume it is a room measuring system so in that case there is no need to only measure around mlp but actually measure at various room locations. Others with Dirac experience might have a bette view on this but I am used to Lyngdorf Roomperfect and there one measures at random room locations.

7. ian34g

ian34g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Just put the mic as shown around the sofa / main listening area to cover about a metre area at most.
    That's what mini Dsp recommend for use with Dirac.
    If you're going to be sat with your ear lower than the back of the sofa you're going to have to experiment a bit as there should ideally be a direct line of sight to speakers.
    I would be probably favour putting the mic at ear height to ensure the LCR are best optimised as personnel preference over the rears. but in the end all it will cost is time to try various setups and pick what sounds best for you.

8. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks. Just a metre? My sofa is a three seater so I was making sure to cover the whole length of it. Thanks for the tip.

9. ian34g

ian34g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Sorry, I've just been reading the manual again metre area is for a chair setup, for a sofa move the mic around the whole sofa listening area.

10. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,455
    just follow the mic positions as shown in the Dirac software image, care needs to be taken that the settee back does not block the line of sight between the mic and speaker

and that’s it in a nutshell tbh, the important one is the first and even that one, the mic should not be blocked by any surfaces between mic and speaker

Allan :smashin:

11. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thank you.