Dirac setting up problems with Arcam AV40. Grateful for any help

HDgeek

Standard Member
Hi there ,

I’m new to this forum and also just purchased the Arcam AV40 hoping to upgrade to HDMI 2.1 very soon. So far so good in understanding how it works but I’ve now got a problem trying to run Dirac . I purchased the additional licence for the bass software as I have two subs . It’s essentially a 5.2 system .

I can’t get the software to produce the pink noise test tones for level testIng at all . The Av40 has the latest software and I‘m using the umik-1 microphone with the appropriate files .

I have tried the following so far:

1) Tried running software with a connected input source . No pink noise at all no matter what master level is set.
2) With an input set with music playing through the speakers , I ran the software . music is now playing at the master level and the sound level can be changed within the software but no pink noise. This method seems unstable with the software randomly muting the music.
3) Disconnected all source input and output connections to the AV40 . Now I can hear just ticking sounds coming from each speaker and sub . The ticking level can be adjusted by the master level in the software . Still no pink noise . In the right direction ….

im using a laptop with windows 10. Also the microphone has a USB extension lead connected to the laptop.

I’m hoping someone has come across a similar situation and the solution .

Cheers .

Hi there ,

I’m new to this forum and also just purchased the Arcam AV40 hoping to upgrade to HDMI 2.1 very soon. So far so good in understanding how it works but I’ve now got a problem trying to run Dirac . I purchased the additional licence for the bass software as I have two subs . It’s essentially a 5.2 system .

I can’t get the software to produce the pink noise test tones for level testIng at all . The Av40 has the latest software and I‘m using the umik-1 microphone with the appropriate files .

I have tried the following so far:

1) Tried running software with a connected input source . No pink noise at all no matter what master level is set.
2) With an input set with music playing through the speakers , I ran the software . music is now playing at the master level and the sound level can be changed within the software but no pink noise. This method seems unstable with the software randomly muting the music.
3) Disconnected all source input and output connections to the AV40 . Now I can hear just ticking sounds coming from each speaker and sub . The ticking level can be adjusted by the master level in the software . Still no pink noise . In the right direction ….

im using a laptop with windows 10. Also the microphone has a USB extension lead connected to the laptop.

I’m hoping someone has come across a similar situation and the solution .

Cheers .
Try switching the arcam av40 to CD input switch off and back on using the big round button.
That should work if not could be the extension cable.

HDgeek

Standard Member
Try switching the arcam av40 to CD input switch off and back on using the big round button.
That should work if not could be the extension cable.
Thx trophy hunter .

will try that . I guess I should still disconnect all the inputs to the AV 40 before following your steps ?

This is what I use also with extension .it seems to keep it working properly
20220602_121126.jpg

HDgeek

Standard Member
You can use the extended lead. But for me I also had to use the one in the picture. As that is active I think 🤔
Thanks .

Have finally managed to sort out the issues . Seems like there was a network setting that needed changing and disabling a sub input that was not being used .

After that .. the software worked like a dream . The result in my room is just amazing with the suggested curve . I think having the extra multi sub software add-on seems to make a difference as the software targeted output are different for both . Will spent some more time doing some A/B comparison tweaks .

Many thanks for your input Trophy Hunter 👍

Aron3000

Novice Member
Thanks .

Have finally managed to sort out the issues . Seems like there was a network setting that needed changing and disabling a sub input that was not being used .

After that .. the software worked like a dream . The result in my room is just amazing with the suggested curve . I think having the extra multi sub software add-on seems to make a difference as the software targeted output are different for both . Will spent some more time doing some A/B comparison tweaks .

Many thanks for your input Trophy Hunter 👍
Hi there, I wanted to get your view on the AV40 on sound quality with mainly movies and also which amp are u using. I was originally interested in Anthem MRX 740, lots of people seem to think they sound better than Arcam avr’s for movies but since Arcam prices went down allot I started considering Arcams now. And also is there much difference in sound quality between Av40 and AVR 20. Many thanks.

HDgeek

Standard Member
Hi there, I wanted to get your view on the AV40 on sound quality with mainly movies and also which amp are u using. I was originally interested in Anthem MRX 740, lots of people seem to think they sound better than Arcam avr’s for movies but since Arcam prices went down allot I started considering Arcams now. And also is there much difference in sound quality between Av40 and AVR 20. Many thanks.
I'm sure there are other more experienced members out there who know more about AV 40 in comparison to the AVR 20. I havent heard the AVR so cant comment on that.

As for myself, as the model has been around for a while and like you I got one due to the price discounting in view of the newer models coming out now.

I haven't got much experience of the Arcam family of products until a few months ago when I picked up their streamer ST 60 . In my system, it sounded excellent. My previous processor was a Lexicon MC-12 ( very old) and I used an Oppo Blu ray player using its analogue outputs in by-pass mode into the Lexicon for movie and multi channel music.

Now with the AV 40 in situ , with Dirac enabled ( I also went for the additional bass management add-on ) it sounds excellent . The surround steerings are very well handled and I have no complaints . I will be upgrading the video board to 2.1 in the next week so )..

I'm not using Arcam amps ( I have a Chord Electronics SPM 3005) multi channel amp. They all work great together in my set up.

As everyone would say, try to get the unit on a home trial . If this is not possible get one with a return policy attached or a refund or alternatives ( in your case the AVR 20).

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom