Dirac Microphone Placement

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dinoprada2003, Apr 14, 2017.

1. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,827
    Does anyone know if there is a video out there showing where to place the microphone for the 9 point calibration on a sofa ? The diagrams built into the software are a little confusing in terms of height and placement .

I did a search but ideally want to see a video where someone is actually using Dirac and taking measurements in a live setting .

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,910
  3. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,827
    Hi jase

Thanks mate I've seen the video before but it does not show where to put the mike in real world positions [emoji848]

From the graph an I seeing and understanding this right? but the closest microphone placements I.E the front two on the front of the couch the top of the mike would be lower than a sofa cushion so the mike on its little stand would be directly siting on the front cushion ?

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,910
    I don't have Dirac (although did try that layout for Audyssey) but taking info from that video it uses differing height placements for some of the positions. Some would be at head height, others below it and nearer the seat cushion (as you've said). I have a boom stand so can just swivel it to any angle/position which makes things a lot easier.

Personally, I would experiment with various placement/mic patterns in and around your main seating position but using that diagram as a rough guide rather than trying to exactly replicate it.

5. REM Germany

REM Germany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I can only second was Jase said. As long as the first measurement is at your main listening position you are pretty flexible with the rest (just make sure that there are no objects blocking the microphone).
    I have read of people who only took one measurement at their MLP and had better results (for their ears) than with the full 9 point calibration, so you might want to try out different approaches and see what works best for you.