Dipping my toe in the water

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Brainfish, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Brainfish

Brainfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Yet another n00b here :hiya:

Apologies if this is not the correct forum for this post

So....Spent a bit of time reading through these forums to try and help me choose a new TV. Unfortunately I'm feeling a bit more confused than when I started. Well, not really :)

Basically, I'm looking for someone to recommend me a TV

My budget will be around £700-800 (less if I can get away with it) and looking for probably a 42"

I'm sort of leaning towards LCD rather than plasma as I still have concerns with regards to screen burn and the length of the "breaking in" period on plasmas, but if someone can convince me otherwise, I won't rule them out.

The TV will be used mainly by my XBox 360 (games and/or streaming HD WMV). Secondary use will be watching both SD & HD via a Virgin V+ box, I also have an XBox 1 with XBMC and the HD AV pack and finally I have a progressive scan upscaling DVD player. There's also a possibility that I will want to use my PC to output some HD stuff

So go on, what should I get?

:thumbsup:

2. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,349
    I think LCD is usually better for computer game/PC use. Largely though it's a grey area. Many people connect their PCs to a plasma screen I just find LCD to be better for bright colours.

3. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    you will have to get a very good lcd to outperform a plasma at 42" for example you can get somthng like the panasonic th42px70 for about 600 pounds and youd struglle to get an lcd to touch it for that money!

4. Brainfish

Brainfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did actually have a small selection of TV's that I'd looked at before coming here for advice. The Panasonic was one of them and the other was a Samsung LE40M86BD. Co-incidentally I just found a thread about choosing between both lol