1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dipoles vs. directional rears. whats best?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mac, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Mac

Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been having a dicsussion with some of my friends about the merits of dipoles and normal speakers as rears.

I say that dipoles are essential as rears because they disperse the sound which IMO for HC rear sound enjoyment is essential.

My mate says do not get dipoles unless you ar egoing to listen to prologic all the time. If you are going to listen to DD 5.1 then get directional speakers because 5.1 rear channels contain directional/steered sound and so requires speakers that are able to focus the sound more.

What do you guys think?:confused:

MAC

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Hi

You can use either/or. It´s down to personal taste. I like the dispersed effect of dipoles, yet equally like the sound of direct radiating speakers.

The only way to decide is to listen to both types and see which you prefer.

THX still recommend dipoles for the side speakers with direct radiators as surround backs if the system is setup for EX/ES. But most people just use their own preferences.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never heard Di-poles before I demoed a pair, always thought the sound would be to mushy, I was pleasantly surprised, so I decided to switch over to Di/Bi-poles for the surrounds and give them a go, I'm more than pleased with the results.

Use to run direct radiatiors all round and I was equally pleased with how they performed. If anything I would say the Di-poles for me have the edge, when you want a sound effect to envolope you like a rain storm or wind the di-poles really do their job. With direct radiatiors the wind/rain effects can often sound if they are coming from an open window. Their performance doesn't drop even when they are required to produce really heavy effects, and when the placement of a sound effect is needed they are no worse than the DR's I were using before. I have the option to switch them to Bi-pole which I believe gives a more direct sound if needed.

Both designs have worked well for me but the Di-poles just pinch top spot for surround duties, and direct radiators for the SB. :)

4. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I camp in the direct radiating field.

Spligsey

5. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Di-poles for my sides and direct for the rears.
    I am pleased with the dispersed sound from the di-poles, which when required seem to be able to place things accurately as well. In a wider room then I may well of gone for directs but then again maybe not :)

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    why compromise? get a tripole which is both, try the m&k ss150 and they will allow you to switch between types as well! (thats what i did)