1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dipoles/tripoles when against the back wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Adam M, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi all,

am now in my new house with a great size lounge.

Have arranged my naim audio system for my hifi and the PJ is being installled this weekend after the room is painted and the wires channeled into the walls.

Going to try for 7.1 with two MandK K5s for the rear centres.

Have asked before about rear di/tripoles. Thought M and K were the only make of these but am told b and w do them too.

Should I look at tonally balancing bearing in mind I already have naim mains and a ruark centre.

Also and more importantly, if I do away with the 7.1 idea and put the settee on the back wall, do I still want tripole/dipole speakers or do they need a distance of wall between them and the wall of the room as I can imagine one of the mids firing straight at the wall.

and finally (sorry) the room is now fairly big, and the house is costing me more than I expected (as ever), will the K4s (£500) be good enough in terms of room filling ability or should I look to the one step up at £800 unles someone can suggest a cheaper place or an alternative from another manufacturer.

Thanks as ever.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is far more important that the front three are a tonal match than the rears as far more sounds and voices pan from left to right that front to back.

The little K4's punch beyond their size and I have a pair on the side walls firing across the seating position although the distance between side walls is only ten feet or so

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Adam
    I have my k-4s on the back wall quite high up around 13' apart,
    Like Ian says they sound alot bigger than they look.I used mission m7ds prior to the m&ks the m&ks being far more dynamic and enveloping than the missions ,mind you they do cost a bit more.
    Cheers Gonzo.

4. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have K4 tripoles about 10 foot up on the side walls. The room is 14x12 (feet!). I think they are excellent and am well pleased.

I am about to have a professional install of a Denon 3803, Denon 2900 and Sim2 Domino which will turn the room around 90 degrees. Without prompting, my installer said that it would be silly to change the K4's as they are so good. He does want to put them on the back wall though. He thinks that I will not notice any difference in sound and 'er indoors is happier with a back wall fit.

Interestingly, the installer reckons that altho the 3803 will output 6.1, I will not really notice an improvement over the tripoles that is worth the expenditure on a new set of rears for the sixth channel. He was more keen for me to buy a big rug for the wooden floor!

Good luck!!
    Dak

5. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks guys,

that is pretty much what I wanted to hear although I didnt know you could get away with running the tripoles on the rear wall, I thought they HAD to fire forwards, backwards and inwards.

They will be about 14 feet apart and the room has perfect symmetry!!!! hooray - so excited about this!

Am pleased to hear they punch above their size,

with the room being 16 by 14ish and having the settee about 60/70cm in from the back wall I think I am going to try the 6.1/7.1 arrangement since I have 4 K5s going spare.

Anyone want to buy a pair of K5s? ;)

While I am here, I don't think my denon avc a10se can put out true 6.1, I think it is "matrix?" 6.1 is that true? If so do I need a new av amp?

and finally, hifi is a big thing to me, its almost sacrilege to use the naim audio monoblocks for the front speakers with a hi level input going into them.

Shall I consider having some m and k type satellites on the front wall (or bigger) and have two seprate complete systems occupying the same space? or is that just silly? I do have the ampification channels after all.

Thanks for the replies, nice to have my thoughts confirmed.

6. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The M&K website does have the K4 manual on it for download. From memory it may tell you that side walls is a better place but not sure.

I am wondering about going to 6.1 later with just 1 M&K column surround behind the sofa - if I can get a dealer to split a pair, or someone to buy the other one off me.

On the hi-fi front, I am not quite sure how he will do it but the guy installing for me is going to use my hi-fi for the fronts.

My speakers are a pair of tri-amped active cross-over Linn Keilidhs and so like you I don't want to mess about with putting music signal through the av amp. Obviously DVD-A and SACD will need to go thro the av amp but the CD player audio outs will go direct to the pre-amp and not thro the av amp at all. A pronto will sort out the rest.

I will start by using the Denon 2900 as the cd player as well, but plan quickly to get a dedicated cd player (visitors in the night had all my kit away recently).

This is how I will get round the problem anyway. Not installed yet so can't comment on how it works but makes sense to me.
    Dak

7. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Linn Keilidhs? thats what I had before my naim credos, very nice and detailed in the right room but too warm for me.

The also needed a lot of driving.

I have the dedicated hifi cd player etc, so its only going to be the av signal from the amp after it has switched between the dvd, ld and x box, none of which I would dream of connecting to my naim pre amp.

In short the naim is just going to act as another amplifier, and with the input switched to av and the volume control left in the 12 o'clock position.

8. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, my night visitors took a pair of Ruark Solstice's so I had to bring the keilidhs out of retirement (they had been in my den). Forgotten how much I liked them - I may stick with them a bit (insurance on the speakers etc is buying the projector etc).

Sounds like what you are planning to do is what my installer is planning ie cd direct to the pre-map, dvd, cable, ps2 and sacd/dvda into the av amp and use the pre-outs on the av amp to take the signal to the hi-fi pre-amp.

My concern was that av noises may damage the hi-fi speakers but I am told they will be fine. I do need a new centre as well, what do you think of the Ruark?

BTW I did also consider the new M&K plasma speakers as wall mounted things and having the av a totally seperate system to the hi-fi but i (read she) decided this wasn't on...

9. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just as an aside, how much do you want for a pair of k5's adam? drop me a pm mate.

Lennyz