1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dipoles on ceiling

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sapkan, Dec 27, 2004.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My rear speakers need to be ceiling mounted. I am currently looking at some MA and Mission packs that feature dipole rears. I am wondering whether these can be mounted on the ceiling behind the listener with good results? Pls advice

p.s. dont let me go for bose again :lease:

2. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    whilst researching inwall speakers came across alot of in ceiling ones!
    given them a thought?
    easier to mount just cut a hole, normall rears would require a complicated mount

3. PepperDogs

PepperDogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ever considered Mirage Omnistats?

In dilemma myself currently looking for rear wall mounted speakers.

Omnistats, MS Genie, 902 Dipoles currently being considered.

:suicide:

4. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    pace, cant cut ceiling as it is concrete, that is why I wanna know how dipoles/bipoles would sound when ceiling mounted

pepper, I am looking for a full-sized package with smaller rears (bi/di) because the room is quite big at 7mx4m and I dont think that sub/sat apart from something like bose (dont like it that much) would do the bizz

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    They can be used on the ceiling but the usual rule applies for dipoles, they should be in line with the seating position. Obviously they must be securely mounted too. I was going to ceiling mount my Jamo THX rears but they weigh several kilos each and only came with tiny brakets for the job.

6. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    what is the difference between bi/dipoles?

7. rookie_wookie

rookie_wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FWIW, here's my understanding of dipoles/bipoles:

Monopoles : Fires sound in a single direction

Dipoles : These speakers fire in the front and in another direction, so that the sound is vague and has no particular direction. Used for surround sound effects

bipoles : fire sound from both the front and back of the speakers..I think this has an effect of making the sound come froma greater distance than just the distance of the listener from the speakers.

Any corrections ?

Cheers
    Wookie

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    In a dipole the drivers are out of phase, so when the front drivers move outwards the rear drivers move in. This means that there is an area about half way between them where the sound waves largely cancel each other out (the Null). For surround speakers if you sit in this area you hear mostly reflected sound from the room and the speakers tend to disappear so you get a spacious soundfield. Dipole surrounds should have the null not the drivers pointing at the listening seat or they won't work properly.

A bipole speaker has both the front and rear drivers moving in or out at the same time. These again spread the sound around the room but don't have the null or cancellation area that dipoles do, so have a more direct soundfield.

There are many variations on the two themes and several speakers like the Monitor Audios can be switched between the different modes.

9. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would a dipolar design be a good choice for the side speakers in a 7.1 system ?

10. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    guys, can I put either on my ceiling and get good results. thinking of the MA Silver S6 AV in particular

11. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I prefer dipoles for the side speakers and THX still spec dipoles for the side, though some people don't like using dipoles at all. So now it is common for the side speakers to be switchable between two or more modes to cater for all tastes. The Jamos I use have dipole tweeter and mid but a direct firing bass driver that gives a diffuse sound but with bass too.

Yes you can. The MA silver Fx can have the tweeters wired as bipole or dipole by changing the wiring on the back. Try each option before mounting them and see which you like best.