Question Dipoles, bipoles or monopoles?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by PoisonJam, Jun 13, 2015.

1. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    What's the best solution for surrounds in my new place? There's little distance between my viewing couch and rear wall so surround effects sound too directional, rather than ambient.

The rears are on 100cm stands to add some height. I thought of wall mounting and aiming downwards, also looking much neater, but feel like they'd be too heavy for this?

Things improved significantly when I pointed them straight ahead instead of towed in. I considered bouncing the sound off the rear wall, but that's an aesthetic compromise too far.

Would dipoles or bipoles on the side wall work better? Or perhaps smaller satellite speakers mounted high up on the rear wall? With the latter I could also do 7.1 with two on the side walls.

[​IMG]

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    Try pulling them forward and aimed across the listening position or pointing them at the side wall and let the sound reflect back into the listening position.

Surround Spks go to the side of the listening position - rears are added in once you go to 7.1.

Raising the Surrounds above head height and to the side of the listening position is what you are aiming for - 5.1 Speaker Setup Guide

Joe

3. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,797
    If you're still not happy when you've tried Joe's suggestion, dipoles are definitely worth trying.

I've got a similar setup where Im sat close-ish to the speakers due to room size, and found dipoles helped "de-localise" things.

4. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Will give placing them to the side a try, but I'm not hopeful as they'll be even closer there. Seeing the backs of speakers and cables when you walk into the room isn't really a solution I'm willing to go for :)

I have been considering upgrading anyhow so I'm open to switching away from monopoles :smashin:

5. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,797
    I've tried all sorts, monopoles, dipoles, bipoles... currently using (and very happy with) a pair of Miller Kreisel K4 tripoles.

6. Yorks68

Yorks68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have Kef dipoles on the side walls and they are fab, would recommend to anyone.